Liquid spill, still works but fans work full speed, battery problem.

Reaction score
Hello all,

I spilled a small amount of liquid (black tea) on my Macbook Pro 17" 2011 Early edition. I flipped it over as soon as possible and turned it off by constantly pressing on on/off button.

The liquid spill was on the left side where the MagSafe and I/O board is. Opened the panel at the bottom, and left it on sideways overnight. Also used a hair dryer fan to remove any moist left the next morning.

Then turned it on but nothing, it was dead. I took it to Apple Store and they told me there's corrosion and they told me they can fix it for flat $1,240. I can not afford that right now, so I picked it up. Left the laptop sat like that for 3 more days and trying to figure out what to do in the mean time. I did not try to turn it on nor plugged. I ordered iFixit tools and was planning to clean the corrosion whatnot myself, as if I knew anything. But did not do it yet. Tools arrived yesterday.

Last night I eventually wanted to try again, and to my delight it turned on. It booted up, loaded the system and brought up all the apps where I left off. I am really happy.

Unfortunately it has become very clear that there's still some damage. Firstly it says there's no battery, although battery connection and the battery was not wet at all. And the fans work at full speed as soon as I turn the laptop on.

What would you suggest?

Thanks for any tip.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Liquid + Electronics = Death im sorry to say. It will eventually die on you. All i could say is use it as you would and maybe download something like Download smcFanControl for Mac - Control Intel Mac fans to make them run cooler. MacUpdate.com to control your fans. Save up for a new one, if they want 1240 to fix it you can buy a new one fort hat price.
Oh yea I would be making a backup now if you havnt already before everything dies. There isnt much you can do with liquid spills.

Have a read of our Sticky for some tips http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/271875-official-i-spilled-liquid-my-macbook-what-do-i-do-now-thread.html

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
$750 for new logic board vs $7.50 for a keyboard cover. Let me think about that for a moment. Use them on all three of my Macs.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Either a keyboard cover as recommended by member "wolfpuppies3" or a notebook stand to elevate the machine will protect against most spills.

As far as a new logic board is concerned, there are a number of reliable companies that sell refurbished logic boards at a reasonable price. You may still wind up paying around $300 to $400 and supplying your own labor, but a lot less than what Apple charges for replacing it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.