Updating for College

Reaction score
Hello, Mac Forums!

I am currently in the process of updating/phasing out some of my older Apple hardware for a bit more practical setup.

Currently, I have a 27" Thunderbolt Cinema Display and Mid 2011 Mac Mini Server. I am beginning to prepare for college and am wanting to update my setup for a couple of reasons:
  1. My Mac Mini's cooling system is awful
  2. I would much prefer to lug around a laptop rather than a 27" Cinema Display
  3. I wish to simplify

I am going to school for communications, general advertising, and psychology. However, I am considering studying architecture and eventually industrial design.

I know for a fact that I am going to need a computer to lug around campus. I was looking at selling my Mac Mini and Cinema Display to make room for (or leave room) a 13" MacBook Air with the eventual purchase of a 27" iMac but my mind keeps wanting outside opinions.

One part of me says that the iMac isn't worth it due to the fact that it will be outdated in a year while another part of me says that it's not going to be a huge enough update to make me want to sell it and get another. I'm comfortable living with a powerful iMac for a few (if not many) generations.

tl;dr
I am going to college and want to update my setup. I wish to sell my Cinema Display and Mac Mini Server to purchase a MacBook Air to take with me from class to class as well as a 27" iMac to keep at home for my design work and hobbies (such as FinalCut).

What does Mac Forums think of this?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am going to college and want to update my setup. I wish to sell my Cinema Display and Mac Mini Server to purchase a MacBook Air to take with me from class to class as well as a 27" iMac to keep at home for my design work and hobbies (such as FinalCut).

I think a better idea is to sell the Mac-Mini…keep the 27" display…and purchase whatever laptop meets your needs.

Then you can have the best of both worlds. The laptop for cruising around campus…and when you get home…plugging the 27" Cinema Display into your new laptop for the benefits of the LARGE monitor (similar to what a 27" iMac setup would provide)!:)

There's really no need to buy both a laptop & a 27" iMac.

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Hello, Mac Forums!

I am currently in the process of updating/phasing out some of my older Apple hardware for a bit more practical setup.

Currently, I have a 27" Thunderbolt Cinema Display and Mid 2011 Mac Mini Server. I am beginning to prepare for college and am wanting to update my setup for a couple of reasons:
  1. My Mac Mini's cooling system is awful
  2. I would much prefer to lug around a laptop rather than a 27" Cinema Display
  3. I wish to simplify

I am going to school for communications, general advertising, and psychology. However, I am considering studying architecture and eventually industrial design.

I know for a fact that I am going to need a computer to lug around campus. I was looking at selling my Mac Mini and Cinema Display to make room for (or leave room) a 13" MacBook Air with the eventual purchase of a 27" iMac but my mind keeps wanting outside opinions.

One part of me says that the iMac isn't worth it due to the fact that it will be outdated in a year while another part of me says that it's not going to be a huge enough update to make me want to sell it and get another. I'm comfortable living with a powerful iMac for a few (if not many) generations.

tl;dr

By any chance are you affiliated to Wespac Dance Center? :p

I think a better idea is to sell the Mac-Mini…keep the 27" display…and purchase whatever laptop meets your needs.

Then you can have the best of both worlds. The laptop for cruising around campus…and when you get home…plugging the 27" Cinema Display into your new laptop for the benefits of the LARGE monitor (similar to what a 27" iMac setup would provide)!:)

- Nick

Totally agree. MBA/MBP on the go and external 27" Cinema Display at home. Best of both worlds really.

OP
W
Reaction score

- Nick

Thank you for your reply, Nick!

I would go with a stronger laptop, however, the MacBook Pro 13" which is somewhat portable doesn't exactly fit my ideal of "power machine." Not only that, it's not quad-core which at this point, is what I'm looking for.

By any chance are you affiliated to Wespac Dance Center? :p

Totally agree. MBA/MBP on the go and external 27" Cinema Display at home. Best of both worlds really.

I am not affiliated with them. Sorry :-(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would go with a stronger laptop, however, the MacBook Pro 13" which is somewhat portable doesn't exactly fit my ideal of "power machine." Not only that, it's not quad-core which at this point, is what I'm looking for.

That's why I mentioned above…"…purchase whatever laptop meets your needs."

If a 13" MacBook Pro doesn't meet your needs…then get a 15" MacBook Pro!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.