Mail wont open.

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a 2010 mac book running snow leapord. After installing the new update mail will not open. It says "You have Mail version 4.5 (1084/1085). It can’t be used on Mac OS X Version 10.6.8 (Build 10K549). For more information, click the Help button." I have spent countless hours trying to fix this and researching solutions but to no avail. I've tried redownloading the update as well as previous ones. I've tried restarting the computer. I made sure that the only folder its in is the applications folder. I've tried reinstalling the applications. I redownloaded the osx and it worked briefly but then I updated the whole thing and the issue continued. Thank you for all the future help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you try to update Mail? Typically, when a message such as that appears it's because the update to OS X has rendered the program (Mail) obsolete. Which means that an updated version is required.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Mail should update automatically by clicking on "check for updates". If it doesn't, then a problem occurred when you updated Snow Leopard. You may be able to resolve it by downloading the Snow Leopard 10.6.8 combo update from here.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm wondering now if by chance you have two versions of Mail installed on your Mac? Check your Applications folder to see what the latest version of Mail is and if you can spot another copy lurking about. (The latest version of Mail is 6.2 but that will only work with Mountain Lion.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.