Which Mac to buy?

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to start developing apps for iPhone and iPad. My background is in C#, Java and C++ but I have never done development for Apple hardware.

I do not own a Mac and my understanding is that I need to have one in order to start development for iPhone and iPad apps. Which desktop or laptop would you suggest purchasing from development point of view while staying in a budget ?

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well…the first decision would be laptop or desktop. You need to determine your mobility/portability needs.

You did post this question in the Mac-Forums "Desktop" area…so maybe that's the direction you're thinking.

You also seem concerned about the budget. Thus it would help us answer your question if you mentioned what your computer budget is.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the reply.

I assumed laptops will be more expensive than desktops so I thought of going for desktop. Also I am thinking about Mac Mini that I can connect with my existing monitor and key board. Will that be a good option to consider for development?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I assumed laptops will be more expensive than desktops so I thought of going for desktop.

Generally speaking yes.

- MacBook Pro (laptop) starts at $1199
- iMac (desktop) starts at $1299
- Mac-Mini (desktop) starts at $599

Like I mentioned…make a definite decision regarding whether you need/want a laptop or desktop…then buy as much as either one of those your budget will allow.

- Nick

p.s. The Mac-Mini is actually a bit of an unusual beast…in a sense…it's a laptop without a display.;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.