Moving from HDD to SSD..

Reaction score
Hi..
Need some help from the experts..
Have a MacBook Pro 17", 2.2ghz i7, with 8Gb RAM and am about to take out the current 750Gb HDD and swap it for a 500Gb SSD. My question to you all is, what is the best way to re-install the operating system? When i got it it was originally running Lion and I upgraded to Mountain Lion. So i have no discs to re-install, but is there a way of creating a recovery disc (as such) and then re-install the OS once the SSD arrives?
Many thanks in advance..Nigel

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
First, you should download ML again, get a minimum 8 GB USB stick, and put the ML installer onto the stick - there are plenty of tutorials you can find online to do this.

Second, when you get the new SSD, grab CarbonCopyCloner, connect the new SSD to your MBP, and clone your existing drive to the new one. CCC also creates the hidden restore partition. Once you've done that, boot to the SSD, make sure everything is there and it's working fine, then swap out the drives.

Of course, you won't be able to clone if your current drive has more data on it than the 500 GB of your new drive.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No problem - need more assistance, let us know.

Edit:

You might want to use this tutorial instead - link or one like it.
The one you have is for those that cannot download ML because their machine came with it pre-installed.

Creating a backup of the recovery partition, as in your link, will have you downloading ML at the time you want to install it.

Since you've purchased ML, you can download ML now and create a bootable installer of the OS itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.