Late 2008 Macbook (unibody) Lifespan??

Reaction score
I have a late 2008 Macbook unibody that I bought new in November 2008. It's been a very good machine and it still runs great four years on. I upped the RAM to 4 GB, otherwise it is just like when I bought it. It's even still using Leopard since I never got around to upgrading the OS and now that ship has sailed :p Ah well!

Since it's been four years, I'm starting to wonder how much longer my computer will keep running this well. It mostly just sits on the desk in my apartment, with the occasional trip to a cafe. I use Aperture 3 for photography, otherwise it's just internet and music.

Has anyone heard about the lifespan of these machines? I don't want to upgrade until I absolutely have to (more or less when my Macbook dies). Is there any reason to believe it will be in the next year or so?

Thanks for any responses!

OP
M
Reaction score
When you say the new iPhones only work with the latest OS, do you mean even for simple stuff like transferring music and photos between the phone and computer? Currently I have a Galaxy phone, but I am due to upgrade in March and I am considering an iPhone. I do have a new PC at work that I could use with the phone if need be.

I was curious about the Macbook's lifespan because I am an American living in South Korea and Macs are expensive here (about 25% more than the US). If I bought a new one, I'd want to have a friend bring one back from the States since shipping it would add import taxes.

But I suppose I will just keep it backed up and take good care of it for the time being! Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I dont see any reason what so ever that it wont last you another few years at best. I know someone running a powerbook G4 from 2004 without any problems. Saying that it is a piece of electronic equipment so it could die tomorrow or last you a life time.

If your happy with using the Apps you have on there and continue on your music and internet than you should be fine. I would highly recommend having a backup in place though just incase it does go haywire.

Another thing to consider is if you ever go to buy a iPhone, the latest only work with the latest OS so that would be something to consider at the time.

CHeers

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Still using my '06 MBP. It's running faster now than when I bought it after upgrading the HD and RAM.

Only I keep my systems up to date. That means keeping current with all software. Doing so will add at least a couple of years worth of life onto a computer for most people.

With yours running Leopard - your computer is already obsolete in at least one aspect - you'll not be able to play any of the latest flash videos online since the current flash player will not install in Leopard.

So, my MBP running Lion (not compatible with ML) and 2 years older than yours, will already do at least one thing yours will not.

As long as you are content with Leopard, it will continue to do what it always has done until some piece of the electronics dies. When? Tomorrow? 10 years from now? Who knows? However, you will continue to face issues of current software and technologies not compatible with your machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Just to add, if you are considering moving up to ML, you can purchase the Snow Leopard DVD from apple.com for $19.99 + tax. After that, you can jump to ML via the Mac App Store for another $20 or $30 (I forget which). Now you're current.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
My 2 cents worth

My MBP is the 2007 model (originally shipped with Tiger OS X 10.4). My usage is almost exactly what you describe, though I have upgraded my OS consistently and am now running Mtn Lion.
Has it slowed down? Perhaps a little, but still more than usable for my (our) usage. I plan on getting a least 2 more years (maybe more if I replace the HD with an SSD).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
When you say the new iPhones only work with the latest OS, do you mean even for simple stuff like transferring music and photos between the phone and computer? Currently I have a Galaxy phone, but I am due to upgrade in March and I am considering an iPhone. I do have a new PC at work that I could use with the phone if need be.

I was curious about the Macbook's lifespan because I am an American living in South Korea and Macs are expensive here (about 25% more than the US). If I bought a new one, I'd want to have a friend bring one back from the States since shipping it would add import taxes.

But I suppose I will just keep it backed up and take good care of it for the time being! Thanks!

Yes even for simple stuff like transferring music, but as others have posted you can upgrade your os for a total of $60-$70. Your work computer would be fine as long as you have Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later, 32-bit editions of Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 to run the latest iTunes which is now @ iTunes11.

It would benefit you to get a friend to bring a Mac from the the states for you

Reaction score
a bit late here, but i have a late 2008 unibody macbook, 2.4ghz, 250gb hd, 2gb ram that was a hand-me-down i got a few months ago.

still on leopard, it was babied, still runs as good as new. gonna upgrade to 8gb ram, osx mountain lion...

i plan on this running at least 3 more years (unless something goes awry with the a catastropic hd or motherboard failure).

new mac owner, never going back to windows! :Smirk:

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
a bit late here, but i have a late 2008 unibody macbook, 2.4ghz, 250gb hd, 2gb ram that was a hand-me-down i got a few months ago.

still on leopard, it was babied, still runs as good as new. gonna upgrade to 8gb ram, osx mountain lion...

i plan on this running at least 3 more years (unless something goes awry with the a catastropic hd or motherboard failure).

new mac owner, never going back to windows! :Smirk:

Welcome to the forums!
:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.