VMWare and Windows on a Linux Box for Photoshop?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Debated on where to stick this and almost posted it in the Photography Forum.

As a lot of you know I am planning for retirement and currently building my Photography kit (while I'm still gainfully employed). Part of the plan is an upgraded workstation, and had intended on using the 2012 model (now maybe 2013 model) Mac Pro as the basis.

But, as the months go by I begin to wonder if we will actually see a truly upgraded Mac Pro. Hence my question. Windows as my base OS is totally unacceptable, would prefer OS X, but could live with Linux.
I absolutely have to have Photoshop, and if I can't run the Mac version, would be willing to run the Windows version in a Virtual Machine.

So, is this reasonable? How is the experience running Windows and Windows software in VM on a Linux Box?
And, what distro should I run if I go that way? Currently running Ubuntu on an old Gateway laptop. Before that I ran Fedora.

I welcome any advice comments or observations anyone might have to offer. I will state upfront, that though it s a beautiful machine, I'm not interested in an iMac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure you can legally run Windows in a VM? I know that you can run XP in a virtual session with Windows 7 Professional | Ultimate, but I'm not sure about any other versions. You probably need to look into that first.

As for which distro of Linux to use, I would choose what you chose; Ubuntu first and then Fedora. (Both are my favorites.)

I will state upfront, that though it s a beautiful machine, I'm not interested in an iMac.

After reading about the new ones, I have to agree with you. (And I own an iMac - the last of the good ones. :) )

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
My reason for skipping the iMac is I want flexibility and expandability above all else. Data only drives for Photos and Videos are a must, and now I am working off of external drives which is a pain.
I want to be able to add, remove, swap out and replace drives as I wish, but will still use externals (obviously) for backup. The ability to upgrade graphics and easily pump up RAM are also major factors.
Honestly, if Apple would come out with something I would call a Mac Mini Pro (essentially a double height Mini) with easily accessible expansion drive bays and potentially a slot for an optional video card I would jump on it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple has promised a refresh of the Mac Pro in 2013. Hang on until you get an idea of what it looks like and encompasses. It sounds like that's what you really have in mind. It means big bucks but a Mac Pro will last for years.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.