Mountain Lion Manual Update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro July 2012, 6 core 33.3ghz, 8gb ram, twin 1TB HDD @7200
Hi There,
I appologise in advance if this is a repeated question, but I did not manage to find it amogst the other posts.
I am relatively new to Mac and so now I have My gleaming Mac Pro Tower I am loving the joys (after an old xp machone that chugged out cubase ....which I really disliked with a passion). I am legible for the free Mountain Lion update and I would like to apply it but I have a couple of problems.
The first problem is that it is about 4gb and my download speed at home (deep in the country) is so bad it states it will take 15 hours. My thought was was to download it via my company's mega fast connection, bung it on a usb or DVD and then run a manual install.
This then brings me to my second problem which is that there are no 4 gig update files in the Apple manual update area. Can anyone advise me on what to do. There are lots of Mountain Lion updates available from 655 meg to the odd small file here and there, then there's combo updates,etc,etc. I don't want to fudge up my lovely Mac by being a complete numpty. If it was possible, I'd like to be able to put in my Mac's serial number and then have acces to my "available downloads" specific to my machine and then just download the exact file as intended by Apple.
As a final note, it's nnot convenient to take my Mac to work and connect it up there to download. I thought I'd add that as I'm sure someone would suggest it.
Anyways I look forward to one or many of you being able to help me out.
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi and welcome.
Is there an Apple store near you? You could perhaps obtain your content code first and then book an appointment with the Genius bar people who could help with a USB drive.
If it were me I'd uncheck all the energy saving features such as sleep and screen-savers on your Mac and download it overnight to your machine directly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The only 4GB file personally conversant with was the actual download of Mountain Lion. You need to set up an Apple ID in App Store. Then advise Apple of the purchase requesting free download. When you get the entry codes, and if you use Apple machines at work, go into the App Store, download and make a bootable USB thumb drive of Mountain Lion. Follow this guide:-

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/07/25/building-an-os-x-mountain-lion-installer-thumb-drive/

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro July 2012, 6 core 33.3ghz, 8gb ram, twin 1TB HDD @7200
Hi and thanks for all the advice. I already have my upgrade code and an apple ID. My nearest Mac Bar is a 60 minute drive away. Yep I really am in the sticks (but perfect for late night music sessions). Is there any other way. We don't use Macs at work, the director has an iPad but that is the closest we get.
Incidentally, does anyone know of any issues with logic pro and the new mountain lion os? Lots of rumours that say good and bad things but I would like to know for sure from impartial, regular users like yourselves.
Again, I really appreciate your help, guidance and advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like you are going to have to lug it into work, hook up to their network and download. Is DSL available where you are?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi and thanks for all the advice. I already have my upgrade code and an apple ID. My nearest Mac Bar is a 60 minute drive away. Yep I really am in the sticks (but perfect for late night music sessions). Is there any other way. We don't use Macs at work, the director has an iPad but that is the closest we get.
Incidentally, does anyone know of any issues with logic pro and the new mountain lion os? Lots of rumours that say good and bad things but I would like to know for sure from impartial, regular users like yourselves.
Again, I really appreciate your help, guidance and advice.

Mate, my nearest Apple Store is approximately 60 minutes drive away and is no problem..you could cycle it..there are no hills in Kent ;D

The problems I can see with Logic Pro appear to be centered around GUI lag and freezing. Some have been removing any 3rd party graphics drivers that they had installed to good effect.Some plug-ins and apps may not be ML compatible so I would check their compatibility first before you upgrade.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Mate, my nearest Apple Store is approximately 60 minutes drive away and is no problem..you could cycle it..there are no hills in Kent ;D

Reminds me of my parents: "Shoot son, I had to walk 10 miles in the snow to get to school and when I'd get home in the fall I'd have to tredge on up to the field and pick cotton 'til the sun went down." ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reminds me of my parents: "Shoot son, I had to walk 10 miles in the snow to get to school and when I'd get home in the fall I'd have to tredge on up to the field and pick cotton 'til the sun went down." ;)

'And all with no shoes'!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE

There are plenty of hills in Kent, I live halfway up one, there just ain't any mountains :)

Ben, I take it you mean the Bluewater Apple Store is 60 mins away - are you anywhere near Maidstone ? You could try Stormfront for assistance Stormfront Maidstone - Authorised Premium Apple Reseller at Fremlin Walk - Your place for all things Apple, they may be able to help.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.