hdmi mirror and turn iPhone/iPad display off?

Reaction score
I was thinking of using my ipad 2 as a netflix, movie player for different tv's around my house and maybe even a make shift desktop computer with bluetooth keyboard/mouse and external monitor.

I haven't ordered the hdmi adaptor yet to try this and I was just curious if I can mirror my ipad screen and then turn the ipad display off so I only have on the external display?

There are two reasons that I want to do this. One is it's very distracting when two screens are on when you're watching a movie or tv show in a dark room and the other is I don't want to burn out the screen by having it on all the time.

Also, I was curious does the headphone jack still output audio when the hdmi adaptor is plugged in?

OP
S
Reaction score
hdmi adaptor mirror and turn iphone 4s display off?

I was thinking of using my iphone 4s as a netflix, movie player for different tv's around my house and maybe even a make shift desktop computer with bluetooth keyboard/mouse and external monitor.

I haven't ordered the hdmi adaptor yet to try this and I was just curious if I can mirror my iPhone screen and then turn the display off so I only have on the external display?

There are two reasons that I want to do this. One is it's very distracting when two screens are on when you're watching a movie or tv show in a dark room and the other is I don't want to burn out the screen by having it on all the time.

Also, I was curious does the headphone jack still output audio when the hdmi adaptor is plugged in?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Merged your threads and relocated them to the iOS forum.
Not really a need for 2 identical threads for a single question and the option you are asking about will depend on whether iOS permits such function on the device.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.