Help im having trouble with my Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hey I was on Facebook then my laptop froze so I rebooted by holding down the power button , but after I turned it back on it had instead of the "User accounts" popping up it gave me four options
1.Restore from time machine backup
2.Reinstall Mac OS X
3.Get help online
4.Disk utility

I chose reinstall Mac OS X but it says the Recovery Hd is Locked and it won't let me do anything.....then I tried to time machine backup but it could not find a backup source some one help please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Run the Disk Utility and Verify/Repair the disk then Verify/Repair Disk Permissions.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It would help us to help you if you gave us some additional info:

MacBook Pro - year, model

Version of OS X you're running.

Quick tip: If you're running Lion or Mountain Lion, boot to your recovery partition and use Disk Utility from there. Hold down your command and r keys at the same time as soon as you hear the boot sound. Choose Disk Utility, do a verify and repair on the hard drive.

OP
J
Reaction score
the year model is around 2010 i believe and could you please explain the advice you just gave me im not to bright when it comes to technology

OP
J
Reaction score
Run the Disk Utility and Verify/Repair the disk then Verify/Repair Disk Permissions.

I tried that but a messaged popped up saying "Macintosh HD is damaged please backup data then restore" now what do I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
you need to replace your HDD. I would recommend finding someone in your area who works on Macs or go to the Apple Store and talk with them, since you said you were not tech savvy.

OP
J
Reaction score
you need to replace your HDD. I would recommend finding someone in your area who works on Macs or go to the Apple Store and talk with them, since you said you were not tech savvy.

Oh im very sorry it didnt say it was damaged it said this "Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files." is this still the same as being damaged?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In my experience (near 17 years), it is the start of the HDD going bad. 100% all the time, no. I still stand by what I said above about seeking hands-on help with someone who can more easily troubleshoot the issue. Definitely back up as much as you can.

OP
J
Reaction score
In my experience (near 17 years), it is the start of the HDD going bad. 100% all the time, no. I still stand by what I said above about seeking hands-on help with someone who can more easily troubleshoot the issue. Definitely back up as much as you can.

Oh ok well im off to best buy then ..again many thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.