Network Performance - Old Mac mini vs New Mac mini

Reaction score
Hello all. I have two Mac mini's, both with model number A1347. One is the Late 2012 server model and one is a previous Mid 2011 server model.

I have a scenario where I have to produce quite a large amount of traffic using hping3 on a local network.

Now when I tested the Mac Mid 2011 server I was able to obtain ~1 Gbps through the Gb NIC. However, when I performed the exact same test on the Mac Late 2012 server, I was only able to produce ~430 Mbps.

I've checked into kernel tuning and while there are a lot of guides out there to get the best performance out of FreeBSD and Mac OSX 10.7(mid 2011) and 10.8(late 2012) the values in the guides are usually 2x-4x larger than the highest values the Late 2012 Mac mini server will allow.

I purchased a Thunderbold Gb NIC to test and this yielded even more surprising results. The buffer for the on-board NIC and the Thunderbolt adapter is shared and I can't tune it any higher than the default settings.

Does anyone know how I can get hping3 to perform the same on the Mid 2011 as on the Late 2012?

If I can get the Late 2012 to perform as I would like, I will be purchasing a stack of the Mac minis instead of racks of Dells. The Dells cheapest servers can get just over 900Mbps and have two NICs each which have enough shared buffers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.