Arabic w/Word 2011: Document opens but freezes

Reaction score
I need to edit a Word document that's in English, but has some words written in Arabic script/font.

I can open the document, but when I click anywhere in it to work, it freezes, I get the pinwheel, and I have to Force Quit to get out of Word.

I'm running OS 10.6.8, and have Word for Mac 14.1.0.

Any idea why it's freezing or how to get around it? I don't need to write in Arabic or even edit or touch those words; I'm just editing the English content, so I just want to get the Word program to stop freezing so I can edit it. Thanks.

Jeff L.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
TRy doing a repair permissions on the disk using Disk Utility as a first thing

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The first thing you need to do is update your version of Office to the latest. You're behind several critical security patches and other updates. Your Word app should be at 14.2.5. Run the Office updater in manual mode if you have not already received notice of the updates from Microsoft.

As to your problem, it may be caused by the Arabic fonts. Since Word can not write or edit Arabic (Arabic like Hebrew is a right to left language, and Word does not support right to left entry or editing.) it may have to do with that. I don't know that for sure.

We regularly mix Asian characters with English in many of our documents and have no problem editing or writing to them.

OP
S
Reaction score
Did the repair permissions. Searched for Updates and got myself current, but when I click "About Word," it still says 14.1.0. How else am I supposed to get to 14.2.5? Now says "your software is up to date." Thanks.

Jeff L.

OP
S
Reaction score
It's weird because I can open and edit this document on my wife's Mac, but she still has Word 2004 on it. And it works in her program.

I updated to Word 2011, but I still have 2004 on my computer also. I've tried to open the document on my computer using 2004, but it still freezes just like it does using Word 2011.

Yet it works on my wife's laptop using Word 2004. However, she's not happy about me working on her computer, because this is a project that's going to take me six weeks or so, and she doesn't want her computer tied up all day for that long.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Jeff L.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As a start, I would remove Office 2004 completely or as best I could and then attempt to update Office 2011 again. Although Microsoft has stated it's OK to leave two versions of Office in place, I have found that this creates problems. For one thing, Office 2004 is PPC coded while Office 2011 is Intel only. There has to some corruption somewhere because Office 2011 has not updated correctly.

If that doesn't cure the problem, you're probably looking at removing both versions of Office and reinstalling Office 2011. Since Office 2011 does not have an uninstaller, you'll need to follow instructions for removing it as given by Microsoft here: LINK

OP
S
Reaction score
What files will I lose if I delete Word 2004?

In checking up on this, it says that if I remove Word 2004 from my computer, I may lose files created with that program. Does that mean I'll lose any Word documents like a letter I wrote and have saved in a folder or a book I copy edited--the ".doc" files I've made? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Already answered by PM, but so that others may benefit.....

Removing Office 2004 will not remove any documents, templates, or other products that you created with it. However, for safety sake, always make a backup first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.