Where should I ask a question about Microsoft Word for Mac 2011

Reaction score
The right click button in microsoft word for mac 2011 has suddenly stopped working. I need this for work and I have spent an hour searching online for help. Can anyone suggest how to make this start again? Thanks in advance for any help.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

Are you doing a CTRL+click or do you have some tool like BetterTouchTool installed to allow you to do a right click by some other means?

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for you welcome.

I have no idea what I have installed because someone at work set it up for me. I have been using WORD fine for a year and always just right clicked on a word to get the spell check to open or to use the thesaurus. It stopped working and I looked online and it seems like these directions might work....if I had that first button:

This is from another website but I don't see that first MOB button!
Spell Check Does Not Work (Word 2007) - Office - Applications
give this a try :

1) First you need to open a Microsoft Word document
2) Click the MOB (Microsoft Office Button) at the top left corner
3) At the bottom of that menu is a button labeled "Word Options" (it's next to "Exit Word" )
4) On the left side is a list. Click "Add-Ins"
5) At the bottom of this menu there is a small box next to the word Manage
6) Click that box and select "Disabled Items" from the list
7) Once you have selected this click the "Go" next to it
8) A new window will open and if on of the options has the words "Spell Check" then select this
9) Once the option is selected then proceed with clicking Enable.
10) Close the "Word Options" menu and proceed to type an obvious misspelled word to test it.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, let's first determine if the issue is Word spellcheck specifically not working or if right clicks aren't working. Since Macs come with a single button mouse, you have to hold down the CTRL button and then click to get a right-click. So do that anywhere and see if you get some sort of a dialog from Word.

If that works, then the problem is specifically with spellcheck.

The MOB button is visible on the Windows version on the top left, it's a Windows logo that subtly blinks..this may not be there on the Mac version of Office, so look at the top bar when Word is selected and you should be able to get to Word Options and other menu options from clicking around either on the File or Tools entries..

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi,

When I hold the control and right click I can do it, so at least that is good and Thank you! Now, I don't see any Word options in any of the drop down menus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
????
Control + left click = right click

Have you tried using a different mouse?

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm not using a mouse. My hand pad is set up to right and left click. It is something with the Word program...I'm sure of it. Where you you find Word "options' in the Microsoft Word for mac? Do you know? Thanks in advance

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will check on the options when I'm at my Mac tonight..though I have Office 2011 on it, so let's see if they've moved it around much..

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks- mine is also 2011. You have been great. Is this a job for you or are you just being helpful?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Everyone here is a volunteer..including the staff..so we all do this because we enjoy Apple products and helping each other out..:)

M

MacInWin

Click on Word, on the top bar of the screen, next to the Apple logo. What you may want is "Preferences," but there is no "Add-Ins" menu there. You can set up spelling and the thesaurus there. Searching Preferences found NO "add-in" references at all on my Word 2011. If you have a mouse, you can set up OSX for two button, or even to use an Apple mouse as if it had two buttons. To do that, you use System Preferences, then the Mouse icon and set the right area as Secondary Button and now you have a two button mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I'm not using a mouse. My hand pad is set up to right and left click. It is something with the Word program...I'm sure of it. Where you you find Word "options' in the Microsoft Word for mac? Do you know? Thanks in advance

Edit > Preferences ? Word > Preferences ?

I'm also not at a Mac. In fact, I'm here on a Mac only on weekends. I check the forums at lunch on weekdays.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.