New mac user with existing external HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac, Late 2011 Model. 500g HD, 16 Gigs RAM. Snow Leopard.
Hi there,

I am about to dive into the world of apple for the first time by buying an iMac.

I currently have a 1TB Iomega media drive which has photos, music and movies on it.

I understand that there may be issues when trying to use an external HD which has been used with a windows machine before with an iMac.

Can someone tell me what will happen when I hook up the Iomega to an iMac. Will I be able to see my files ? Will I be able to copy them from the Iomega to an iMac and more importantly will I be able to copy from my iMac to the Iomega.

Thanks in advance.

Mark S.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The drive will be formatted as NTFS. OS X can read the drive and you'll be able to copy from the drive - assuming no permissions issues.

You will need a 3rd party utility to be able to write to the drive. Personally, recommend you spend the $20 on Paragon's NTFS for Mac for the easiest, most hassle free way of using NTFS partitions.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac, Late 2011 Model. 500g HD, 16 Gigs RAM. Snow Leopard.
Thanks for your prompt reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
All I did with mine was to copy all the data that I wanted over to my iMac, then simply reformatted the drive to Apples format and it's worked fine ever since.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.