Problems repairing disk permissions...

Reaction score
Hi all, hope you are all having a good night. I have a 13 inch late 2010 Macbook pro that won't boot up past the Apple logo. I have tried to repair permissions using single user mode:

/sbin/fsck -yf
/sbin/mount -uw /
/sbin/autodiskmount -va
/usr/sbin/diskutil repairPermissions /

After I run this command, I get an error saying "Unable to run because unable to use the DiskManagement framkework. Common reasons include, but are not limited to, the DiskArbitration frameworking being unavailable due to being booted in single user mode."

I would also like to note that I have tried repairing disk permissions with a piece of software called "Applejack" that runs from single user mode, and I still get the same message.

I cannot boot into my restore disk, because I can't get into a GUI. It hangs at the Apple loading logo..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If I understand correctly, you can't boot your MacBook with your original restore DVD? If that's true try this:

Remove the hard drive from the MacBook and try booting with your restore DVD. Make sure that the disk is the original which came packed with your MacBook.

OP
C
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, you can't boot your MacBook with your original restore DVD? If that's true try this:

Remove the hard drive from the MacBook and try booting with your restore DVD. Make sure that the disk is the original which came packed with your MacBook.

The problem is that I don't have my original restore DVDs because I bought this laptop used.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, now I understand why you can't access the restore process. How about telling us which version of OS X you have on the machine? If it's Lion or Mountain Lion, you may be able to boot to the recovery partition by pressing command plus the r key on boot up. If you're running Snow Leopard or earlier, you'll either need to buy an install DVD or a retail version of the same. Snow Leopard can be purchased direct from Apple for $19.99.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.