Using My Brand New Mini on Old Philips Monitor

Reaction score
I just got a new Mac mini and keyboard. I'm using a Philips HDTV monitor, hdmi to hdmi. I got the mini specifically because it was affordable and would take third party peripherals but the screen looks bad.

No matter how I set the resolution the fonts are thick and slightly blurry. Most pages need to be zoomed up in order for me to be able to read them and most everything, including photos look pixelated and heavy. Nothing appears crisp and sharp.

I've never worked on a mac before and I purchased sight unseen because I need to do some graphic work and I wanted what mac offered, but I can't imagine doing any graphic work like this.

I used this same monitor with my Windows pc and had a much nicer display. I thought the mac would be better. I'm hoping it's an issue with the Philips brand but I'd appreciate any insight.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Did you hook it to your Windows PC via HDMI?

EDIT:
I have an older Mac Mini (pre-HDMI version) and a 27 in Viewsonic Monitor. Have hooked my Mini to my Monitor two ways, via DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and via VGA input. Both work fine.

I've heard there is an issue with HDMI and TV hookup with 2012 Mac Minis and supposedly there is a fix coming. But the problem I heard about (flickering as I remember) doesn't sound like what is happening with yours.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Razormac,

On the Windows PC this TV/monitor was hooked up via the VGA. Now with the mac mini I'm using the HDMI connection.

I have been poking around since I posted here and it looks like maybe I need to purchase an actual PC monitor vs a TV in order to get a sharp resolution.......?

I mean, my Windows PC wasn't perfect for graphic work but everything else was sharp, but on this mac the whole display is...just...bad....no matter what resolution setting I try.

Kinda disappointing.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try doing a VGA hookup from your Mini before you buy a new Monitor.

EDIT: You can use a Thunderbolt to VGA adapter and your old VGA cable for connection. $16 at Amazon
Amazon.com: Cable Matters Gold Plated Premium Mini DisplayPort | Thunderbolt to VGA Male to Male Cable in White 6 ft: Computers & Accessories

Not sure if you need male to male or male to female (would depend upon your cable)

EDIT2: And, yes, a newer high grade Monitor would definitely be sharper. But if your Phillips display was good enough before via VGA hookup it ought to still be good enough on your Mini

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you again, I called Best Buy and they have Rocketfish minidisplay to VGA adapter so I'm go over there right now to pick one up. Hopefully it will do the trick.

I'll come back and post the outcome.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great!
Hope it does the trick for you.

OP
A
Reaction score
Much Better

OK. I got VGA to minidisplay (thunderbolt) cable and it's better. A lot cleaner and sharper in general. I saw some actual Mac monitors in the store and that's the look I ultimately want but for now this is much better with this adapter than without it.

Thanks a lot Razormac. Nice to know there is someplace I can come and get some help with my new Mac. :Blushing:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Odd that it would look better with SVGA, rather than HDMI, which is purely digital. I suspect you're not running in the monitor's native screen resolution for some reason.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad it's working.
Have to say that I'm tempted by the Thunderbolt displays myself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.