2010 MBP Battery Dying?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
Hey,
I have a question for you guys. I think my MBP's battery is failing. According to Coconut Battery, my original battery still retains 93 percent of it's design capacity. That's very good considering my MBP is over 2 years old. Yet, since last night the amount of battery the charge holds is greatly decreased. Currently, I'm on ethernet with my wifi off, only Word, safari, open. I have Splashtop 2, Alfred, and VMWareFusion running in the background. Not really much in the area of labor intensive. I've probably used 6 percent of the battery in the past 10 minutes. That's not right - at all. Yet, Coconut Battery thinks it's fine. Is there another cause for this? Is Coconut Battery wrong? Should I call apple?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Cocoanut Battery gives an approximation of the % of remaining battery based on past usage (number of charge recharge cycles) and age. Since you didn't tell us how many cycles are on the battery, it would be difficult to judge whether the battery is at fault or not. Rule of thumb here though is since your machine is a 2010 model, it has a longer lasting battery (1000 cycles). If you have Apple care still effective for your MBP, Apple will replace the battery if it should prove to be defective.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Mac is 29 months old with 208 load cycles. I do have my AppleCare Warranty - but I'm a college student and I use my laptop for homework; I don't want to send it off if it's just my imagination.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the past 15 minutes, it has dropped 6 percent and half of that time it was closed... Dang it!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you can hold off until Xmas break and if you have access to an Apple store nearby or at home, take it on in and have them check it out. If the battery does turn out to be defective, they'll replace it for free. Since your battery only has 208 load cycles, it probably should be doing better than what you described.

BTW, Apple would not have to keep your machine any length of time to just change out a battery. That's something they can do rather quickly right there at the store. (If the battery is in stock.)

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The nearest Apple store is 3 hours away. I'd have to take it to a repair center 30 mins from my school.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Make sure you call ahead and ask if they have the battery in stock. And don't let them replace it with a substitute because that will certainly void the warranty. I've giving you a heads up on this because not all Apple authorized repair centers do the same kind of work that the Apple store technicians do.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I will call ahead and make sure I get the correct battery. I want my warranty to stay in effect, just in case!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.