Reaction score
This message appears frequently when I try to surf the Internet: 502 Bad Gateway - Response Error, a bad response was received from another proxy server or the destination origin server.

Any idea how to correct this? Please provide detailed instructions

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
We would need to know a whole lot more about your setup to even start to venture a guess about this problem.

Just a few bits of data to start with:

1. What kind of Mac, operating system version and network configuration (wired or wireless) are you using?
2. Who is your Internet Service Provider?
3. Do you use a wireless router, and if so, what make and model is it?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Are you getting that error with specific sites or every site? First ensure that your Internet connection is valid. Click on System Preferences->Network and select the device on the left that says it's "Connected". Now look to the right and you should see something about an IP address. Make sure it's a valid one and not something like 259.164.xxx.xxx or something..

Let's start with this first before guessing at what might be wrong..

OP
M
Reaction score
@ cwa107

1. Macbook Pro version 10.7.2
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Startup Disk Macintosh HD
Softwear Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)

When error appears, it is for most sites, but not all.

2. Orange net on key

3. It is not wireless

In Verify Permission is says: Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreService/ RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@ cwa107

1. Macbook Pro version 10.7.2
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Startup Disk Macintosh HD
Softwear Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)

That's great, thanks. Any particular reason you haven't updated to 10.7.5? You're on a very early revision of Lion. That concerns me.

When error appears, it is for most sites, but not all.

2. Orange net on key

So, that would be mobile broadband through Orange, correct? Have you gone to Orange to see if they've released any updates to their software/driver package? It really sounds like they're routing your traffic through a proxy, but that proxy is having some issues retrieving what you're asking it for. That may be due to outdated client software.

In Verify Permission is says: Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreService/ RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Not related. ARD = Apple Remote Desktop. It's software used for remote controlling your Mac. Not all permissions-related issues identified can be fixed, nor do they always need to be.

OP
M
Reaction score
That's great, thanks. Any particular reason you haven't updated to 10.7.5? You're on a very early revision of Lion. That concerns me.

I didn't know I could! Silly, I know! :Blushing: How do I update to Lion 10.7.5?

So, that would be mobile broadband through Orange, correct? Have you gone to Orange to see if they've released any updates to their software/driver package? It really sounds like they're routing your traffic through a proxy, but that proxy is having some issues retrieving what you're asking it for. That may be due to outdated client software.

Correct! No, I haven't, but now I will. Thanks! I will go to Orange.

Not related. ARD = Apple Remote Desktop. It's software used for remote controlling your Mac. Not all permissions-related issues identified can be fixed, nor do they always need to be.

Thanks again. It sounded like something I ought to be concerned about, but you have helped me not worry about it. :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again. It sounded like something I ought to be concerned about, but you have helped me not worry about it. :D

It should be prompting you automatically to install updates, but if it doesn't you can force it by clicking the Apple menu (upper-left corner of the screen) and choosing "Software Update". However, you're so far behind at this point, that you may choose instead to manually download the combo updater package, available here:

OS X Lion Update 10.7.5 (Client Combo)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your help is very much appreciated. I will update. Meanwhile, everything seems to be running smoothly again. Thank you again.

OP
M
Reaction score
@cwa107

I tried downloading 10.7.5 but after downloading, I tried opening and it says the following:

Warning
The following disk images couldn't be opened
Images Reason
MacOSXUpdCombo10. not recognized

What do I do? Thank you!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That looks to be an incomplete file name - "MacOSXUpdCombo10." is missing a few characters at the end including the ".dmg" extension. Were these included?

OP
M
Reaction score
That looks to be an incomplete file name - "MacOSXUpdCombo10." is missing a few characters at the end including the ".dmg" extension. Were these included?

No, they were not included. Also, the download originally showed that it would day 1 day and 18 hours to down load, which seemed strange, but of course it didn't take that long at all.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The file should be called "MacOSXUpdCombo10.7.5.dmg." If those final few characters aren't there, you can try adding them. However, that may not work - you may have to re-download it if the exclusion of those characters is due to some corruption.

OP
M
Reaction score
It should be prompting you automatically to install updates, but if it doesn't you can force it by clicking the Apple menu (upper-left corner of the screen) and choosing "Software Update". However, you're so far behind at this point, that you may choose instead to manually download the combo updater package, available here:

OS X Lion Update 10.7.5 (Client Combo)

But I used this page ( OS X Lion Update 10.7.5 (Client Combo)) to download, which was provided for me by cwa107. Where else can I find this download?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's the right page but that doesn't mean the download worked properly. Did you try renaming it as I noted above?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may want to go to a public WiFi hotspot (like a Starbucks, or similar cafe with free Internet access). I'd be willing to bet that at least part of this problem is that you're using a relatively slow, high latency mobile broadband connection to download a very large file. It's likely getting constantly interrupted, when it needs a more stable connection.

OP
M
Reaction score
You may want to go to a public WiFi hotspot (like a Starbucks, or similar cafe with free Internet access). I'd be willing to bet that at least part of this problem is that you're using a relatively slow, high latency mobile broadband connection to download a very large file. It's likely getting constantly interrupted, when it needs a more stable connection.

Thank you very much! Upon closer examination, the dmg ending does appear, so you may be right. I'll take my laptop with me to public WiFi hotspot. I hope this will work. Thanks again. You've all been a great help.

OP
M
Reaction score

Hi! I wanted to share my experience so it may help others in the future. I ended up staying home and trying to download Lion 10.7.5 . I felt I shouldn't have to leave the house every time my computer needs upgrading.

On a hunch, I asked for download updates again. I then brought my iPhone close to my laptop, clicked on Safari and rested my Orange Net Stick right next to my iPhone. It worked like a charm—the download began immediately and took less then one minute to complete a 2.06 file, and Lion 10.7.5 was instilled. I then checked again for more updates and saw that three more needed to be installed—they took about 5 minutes to download. Now my computer is completely up-to-date.

Had it not been for your suggestions, I would have never thought of doing this on my own.

Thank you again! :*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.