Do I need to keep my logs?

Reaction score
Hi guys. I had a look at the basic osx troubleshooting page and have repaired disk permissions and cleared caches.

My question is: do i need to keep my logs? I went into system profiler and there are a whole bunch of logs including an Installation log, a crash log and so on. Is it necessary to hold on to these or can they be deleted?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
logs

patberetta said:
Hi guys. I had a look at the basic osx troubleshooting page and have repaired disk permissions and cleared caches.

My question is: do i need to keep my logs? I went into system profiler and there are a whole bunch of logs including an Installation log, a crash log and so on. Is it necessary to hold on to these or can they be deleted?

Thanks in advance

Hi there,

i didnt keep my logs and havnt come accross any problems, but i reccomend u ask wait for another person to answer as then u can be sure rather than "I THINK" as i am not sure

anyways cheers

chris tm

Reaction score
The system logs are automatically rotated and/or deleted when your mac does it's housecleaning (assuming you leave it on). If you dont leave it on all night, use one of the many maintenance utils available to do it manually.

As far as install logs, do what you want with them. Only reason to keep them is if you want to uninstall something and want to make sure you get all of it.

Crash logs can be vary helpfull when determining "What the heck happened?".

Personally I recommend Applejack to do cleaning, but there are many others just as good.

OP
patberetta
Reaction score
cradom said:
Personally I recommend Applejack to do cleaning, but there are many others just as good.

Is this applejack something that is already on my computer or do I need to download it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.