how involved is it to transfer files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.7GHz 21" iMac I5 8GB ram, 1Tb memory , iPad firs gen 64 gig , iPod touch 5 32 gig
Well, I'm picking up my 21" iMac- I called the store at 7 PM to ask about availability of the machines- There is no display out yet save for the older ones. I was told the more expensive one with the faster processor is out right now but they have several of the base model. I don't need the faster processor. I was originally told that when the time came to bring my laptop and they do the data transfer- However, due to the holiday rush it is a overnight stay( only 6 machines accepted a day).
I've been told it is not difficult but not for this noob.. O:)
I figure I can set up my email and a few things myself but would rather somebody born AFTER the invention of the cell phone would understand better than I- I never could set my DVR.
I wish my daughter was still dating her last beau- he was very saavy in such matters( except he was a cheating SOB)- is there a link to a step by step how to transfer my pictures, few files my iTunes folder and my contacts list and folders form my e-mail program(incredimail)

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.7GHz 21" iMac I5 8GB ram, 1Tb memory , iPad firs gen 64 gig , iPod touch 5 32 gig
BTW, I was NOT born after the invention of the cell phone, in fact, I'm 67 years old and if I can learn it, you can do it![/QUOTE]

Thank you for the links, and maybe there is help for this old dog yet. I sometimes feel intimidated with the abbreviated terminology tossed about on the forum- I truly is another language and some days I feel like I just stepped off a plane from some foreign country and need a translation dictionary-lol

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you, MacInWin. I installed migration assistant on my pc last night and as soon as I had my wireless network connected, the migration assistant started up on the iMac. I thought I would need an Ethernet cable but it is (slowly) going via my wireless setup. I have a day long process but if this saves me a trip to the mall during the hellidays, great!
The apple store was busy with iPhone purchases, my trip lasted 30 min from the time walked in the door. No wait for computer shopping, just iPad mini and iPhone 5 shoppers

M

MacInWin

Let us know if you have any problems with the migration. There are some absolute wizards on this site that can solve just about anything on a Mac.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
absolutely seamless. Thank you for the link. I had a little issue with my e-mail but I got some help with apple care- one of my g-mail settings were not Mac compatible. I am up and running.
I do have a question, is it possible to make a shortcut link to sites like Facebook? I have it bookmarked but was not sure if there was a way to get to it from the dock( see, I even remembered not to call it a desktop)

M

MacInWin

Close, but "Dock" is the list of icons along the edge of your screen (Default is the bottom, but it can be moved to the side). The desktop is still the desktop.

I don't put much on my Desktop. OSX will get slower to star up the more you have there. As a general principle I don't leave stuff there unless it's really important to me to have there.

The easiest way to put a link to a URL is to go to the URL, then drag and drop the icon from the address bar in the web browser to the desktop. It will show (or it did when I tried it) as a document with a folded corner. Double clicking it will take you to the link.

C

chas_m

Tip: when trying to make a desktop icon out of a URL, grab it by the little symbol (favicon) at the beginning of the URL in the URL bar in your browser.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.