Second moniter stopped working?

Reaction score
Hey all, I just need help on a problem I just picked up. I have a Macbook Pro 13' and a separate Dell monitor.They are connected with a Rocketfish mini display port to VGA adapter. Usually once I get off my computer, I close my Macbook and shut off the second moniter with the on/off button. Now usually when I want to go on my computer, I would press the on/off button on the external screen then open my macbook and then all would be fine. Well yesterday when I got home, I pressed the on/off button, opened my macbook and I recognized that on the external monitor, the backlight on the screen is on, but the desktop wallpaper on it was not on. I tried moving the mouse to that side of the screen and it went over, but nothing was popping up on the screen. So I came to realize that there were two things that could possibly be broken, the monitor or the adapter. After an hour or so messing with the wires, the wallpaper for the external monitor went back on. The only problem now was that I needed to unplug them again because I needed to move it. Once I did, I could not get the monitor to get back on. So what do you think, the adapter has a shortage or the second monitor is just broken.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Have you tried another cable or hooked up the monitor to another computer?

OP
T
Reaction score
Have you tried another cable or hooked up the monitor to another computer?
I don't have another adapter yet because I don't want to go out and buy another one if it isn't broken. I tried it on another computer and I had the same problem, but that could also be just from the adapter again.

C

chas_m

Well, you have definitely narrowed it down to either:

1. Adapter went bad
2. Monitor is dead

Unless you can find another way to test the monitor, you're going to have to risk buying an adapter (as that's cheaper than a new monitor) in order to get to the bottom of this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.