does anyone leave their ipad naked

Reaction score
just got a new ipad for a xmas gift and part of the reason I was interested in purchasing one was for the simplicity of the unit-is a case really necessary-are they that fragile-was thinking of making it my own with custom skin and getting a padded sleeve for transport-are the cases sturdy enough for use on your lap-they almost seem more suited to table top use-no matter which case I read reviews on, they all seem to have issues-would like to hear from others who have chosen to go without accesories

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have had my iPad 1 since the first day they were available and it looks like new .
I only use a netbook case to transport it outside my home.
I use this when its on my desk. http://twelvesouth.com/products/compass/

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I think you will probably think twice after it gets knocked out of your hands and lands on the floor.

Saw this happen today at the Apple store. Business man had it sitting on top of his case. Employee comes by and bumps into him and then it lands face down on the floor.

I could tell by his face that he wasn't happy. Vein throbbing on the side of his forehead and I think everything above his neck turned red.

I flinched when I saw it. It was like watching something horrible happen in slow motion. Needless to say I felt sorry for the guy. I didn't stick around to see the damage cause I was on my way out.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I drop my iPad way too much to leave it bare.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
For starters, might I recommend you use periods instead of dash as your sentence separator..takes longer to read your post..

As the others have stated, having a case is good since the iPad is something you'll hold and carry around and will lay down in various spots in various angles and will eventually drop. The case will ensure that the damage is contained..

I only had a smart cover from the day I bought my iPad 2 and it served me well for a long time until my daughter dropped it on it's corner and cracked a small portion of the front LCD. After that I ended up getting a full cover for it and I have dropped it at least a half a dozen more times on carpet, hard wood and tile and there has been no additional damage..

C

chas_m

The iPad is not particularly fragile, but most of us like the look of it so much that we strongly desire to keep it free of little scratches and dings. that's the reason for the cases, not really (other than, say, Otterbox-type stuff) to protect it from dropping.

I mean, accidents can happen, and you'd want some protection in case that does. But I find that simply remembering how much one costs makes me hold it carefully, navigate carefully when I'm holding it, and generally act like I've got a baby in my arms. So far this philosophy has stood me and my various iOS devices, all of which are holding up pretty well appearance and functionality wise, in good stead.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Scratches don't bother me, as I just want it to remain functional until new technology brings about its demise. From what I have observed, most folk hold the ipad in their hand while sitting on a couch, so that is why I felt a case may be more of a nuisance than anything else. I have laptops, if I need to use something on a table, or do any serious typing. Think I may pick up one of those "rubberized" skins to give it some extra grip, yet provide some protection for those inevitable drops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
As chas stated I have held on to my iDevices knowing what the replacement would cost and I just like the way they all look without covers so far over the years I have either been real responsible or lucky you choose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
does anyone leave their ipad naked

I see no need to put on clothes, just because I'm leaving my iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I have an iPad and use a screen protector (I hate scratches) and the leather smart cover and a marware back. very minimalistic but if you pay attention, it will work fine.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As chas stated I have held on to my iDevices knowing what the replacement would cost and I just like the way they all look without covers so far over the years I have either been real responsible or lucky you choose.

I would vote for lucky, but it is different for everyone.

In my case, my dexterity ends at my wrists. Due to age, injury etc. my hands don't handle very well anymore. As a result, it isn't just iPads but everything; the question isn't if but when I will drop it, so protection is a must.
If you can get by without it great . . . but I can't. :p

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I would vote for lucky, but it is different for everyone.

In my case, my dexterity ends at my wrists. Due to age, injury etc. my hands don't handle very well anymore. As a result, it isn't just iPads but everything; the question isn't if but when I will drop it, so protection is a must.
If you can get by without it great . . . but I can't. :p

I have to agree. I care about scratches and dings cause it hurts resale value.

I see no need to put on clothes, just because I'm leaving my iPad.

Oh you. *・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・'(*゚▽゚*)'・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・*

Reaction score
I tried to go bare when I first got it, then I got a scratch on the back so it was time to get a case. No screen protector though.

C

chas_m

I realise I forgot to answer the question, actually!

Most of the time, my iPad goes "naked" except for a clear rubbery back cover to protect from scratches and to give it a better grip.

When I take it away from home, I put it in a portfolio style case that a) reduces the chance of theft and b) adds more protection should I trip or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
How ironic that no one covers the screen because that's where my iPad developed a scratch one week after we bought it. No idea how it happened (I blame my wife, she blames me) but I sure wish I had put some kind of screen protection on it. I definitely will when I get my next one. I prefer a front-and-back ghost armor or invisible shield and no case whatsoever. That's how I did my iPhone 4 and now my iPhone 5 too. Why hide that beautiful body? ;)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How ironic that no one covers the screen because that's where my iPad developed a scratch one week after we bought it. No idea how it happened (I blame my wife, she blames me) but I sure wish I had put some kind of screen protection on it. I definitely will when I get my next one. I prefer a front-and-back ghost armor or invisible shield and no case whatsoever. That's how I did my iPhone 4 and now my iPhone 5 too. Why hide that beautiful body? ;)

Actually, I use a case that covers front and back, and when closed, makes my iPad (and now iPad Mini) ressemble a portable organizer or thin leather bound book.

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm a recent owner and often wonder how scratch proof the screen is,
Do they have those iPhone clear sheets for the iPad?
I've noticed a few scratches on the sheet on the iPhone where the wife has thrown the car keys etc in the hand bag
Admittedly, I have a Logitec keyboard which protects it in transit
Regards,
Gary

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Guys,
I'm a recent owner and often wonder how scratch proof the screen is,
Do they have those iPhone clear sheets for the iPad?
I've noticed a few scratches on the sheet on the iPhone where the wife has thrown the car keys etc in the hand bag
Admittedly, I have a Logitec keyboard which protects it in transit
Regards,
Gary

Yes they do have screen protectors for the iPad. I don't use one because I have a book style ipad cover so the screen is never exposed except for when it is in use.

Reaction score
Yes they do have screen protectors for the iPad. I don't use one because I have a book style ipad cover so the screen is never exposed except for when it is in use.

I guess having the logitech keyboard which covers the pad in transit, all should be good!
The only other query would be if constant use would deteriorate the surface from finger use?
Regards,
Gary

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess having the logitech keyboard which covers the pad in transit, all should be good!
The only other query would be if constant use would deteriorate the surface from finger use?
Regards,
Gary

That's why I have a cloth to clean the glass. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.