does anyone leave their ipad naked

OP
E
Reaction score
I had bought my ipad online, but went into the store to have a look at apple's case and ask about the screen.The guy pulled out his keys and ran it right down the screen of his ipad with no marks,their feeling was that most of the protecters were little more than a sheet of thin plastic that would likely not prevent any serious damage from occurring and it would take away from the benefits of the retina display. Personally, I feel these gadgets are to be used, and although I take good care of my stuff, I am not worried about it looking perfect. I did ask about drop test results with the apple smart case, and none had been done. My read on that is that the apple case is really about preventing scratches and not about protecting the device. It's unfortunate that all the ones that truly protect for drops are so bulky and except for lifeproof (nice but too pricey IMO) all have built in screen protectors. Majority of the folio styles don't even cover the corners of the ipad, which is where the impact is most likely to occur. Would be nice if more of the cases had the ability to keep the cover in place when folded back, as this becomes I nuisance. I drop my phone all the time, and my ipod is always thrown around in the vehicle when I'm driving, but I do not see the ipad being at as much risk of being dropped, simply because of the format in which it is used (for our household anyways)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I had bought my ipad online, but went into the store to have a look at apple's case and ask about the screen.The guy pulled out his keys and ran it right down the screen of his ipad with no marks,their feeling was that most of the protecters were little more than a sheet of thin plastic that would likely not prevent any serious damage from occurring and it would take away from the benefits of the retina display. Personally, I feel these gadgets are to be used, and although I take good care of my stuff, I am not worried about it looking perfect. I did ask about drop test results with the apple smart case, and none had been done. My read on that is that the apple case is really about preventing scratches and not about protecting the device. It's unfortunate that all the ones that truly protect for drops are so bulky and except for lifeproof (nice but too pricey IMO) all have built in screen protectors. Majority of the folio styles don't even cover the corners of the ipad, which is where the impact is most likely to occur. Would be nice if more of the cases had the ability to keep the cover in place when folded back, as this becomes I nuisance. I drop my phone all the time, and my ipod is always thrown around in the vehicle when I'm driving, but I do not see the ipad being at as much risk of being dropped, simply because of the format in which it is used (for our household anyways)

My eyes. 。・゜・(ノД`)・゜・。 Smart Cover isn't going to help with drops. Especially the back.

Reaction score
Hi There,
Pelican Cases now have a case for the "rugged" traveler, and have one to fit the iPad, not sure about the mini but you can bet they will make one
I think they are almost water proof,
I have one for my iPhone when I'm near water or out in the boat
Regards,
Gary

Reaction score
I have an iPad 4 and I never use it with any kind of case/cover. I have a cheap Belkin 'sleeve' which I put it in if I want to throw it in my bag and take it somewhere but the whole time it's in my apartment it's sat 'naked' on its Twelve South Compass stand. Each to their own, I guess. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011 2.4GHZ 4GB Ram 500GB HD
Your entering dangerous territory when you leave your device "Naked". I had the pleasure of somebody knocking my ipod out of my hand and denting it.... i want happy at all. So I bought a griffon case for it and I've dropped it a few times and it hast been damaged at all.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Your entering dangerous territory when you leave your device "Naked". I had the pleasure of somebody knocking my ipod out of my hand and denting it.... i wasn't happy at all. So I bought a griffon case for it and I've dropped it a few times and it hast been damaged at all.

Dangerous waters indeed. That's why I just put everything in a case now. I'm scared of dropping my various devices.

Reaction score
I have a black iPad mini so no LOL. I have one of them soft silicon cases with the hard plastic which keeps it on securely and love it! I will be getting a matching one for my iPhone 5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 2011 Intel Dual Core i5 Intel HD Graphics 3000 4GB RAM 128 SSD
Never leave it bare!!!

I have never had my iPad 2 out of the case, when I first got it I refused to take it out of the plastic cellophane until my case and screen protectors had come!!!

I personally keep mine in a Griffin Survivor case because mine is thrown around all over the place and is always on a building site on the road!

You will probably only need to have a small case to keep the scratches off, but if your like me get a really protective case!

My iPad has been int the case for so long, I can't even remember what it looks like!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I bought the iPad Smart Cover for the wife since it folds under for the right angle in a lap or on a desk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 9.7" IOS 10.2.1, 2015 MBP 16gb 1tb OSX 10.12.3
This post reminds me of how some people dont mind a messy house and some do. I cant imagine not being careful with my ipad. With that said, I use an Apple Smart Cover. Mine has a rubberized back [complete with Apple Logo] and rubberized corners.

Reaction score
I will definitely not leave my iPad naked. From the 1st day i got mine, I bought a screen protector and ordered a Sleek Leather Case at MiniSuit and Amazon. Glad to say that my iPad have no scratches or whatever. Secured and fully protected :)

Reaction score
I leave my iPad quite naked. All I have on it is a decal and the Apple smart cover. I also use a 3M EMI Absorber tape so the Smart Cover sticks to the iPad when I flip it to the back.

I have a few of these strips left since I had to purchase a whole sheet (they don't come separately) of it.

PM me if you need one.

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid '11 iMac 21.5", iPad 4 w/Retina Display 16GB, 13.3" MacBook Pro (Late '11) 500 GB HD, 2.4 GHz
I just bought mine this past weekend and I use a ZaggKeys Profolio+ case with bluetooth keyboard. It doesn't add much weight or bulk to my iPad at all. I mainly use that when I carry it away from home and I place it in a cushioned tablet bag for extra protection. When I'm at home on the couch or over a table, it's naked...it looks and feels too nice to be covered up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.