Random black lines appear on desktop?

Reaction score
Hello, I'm not sure if I should be posting this here or not.. I'm new. Anyway my question is if anyone can help me with this issue I have these random black lines that appear around my desktop in different sections of the screen when I put a video or iTunes into fullscreen they disappear, does anyone know the cause? Thanks!
Here's an image: Image of issue

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What model computer are we talking about?:

- MacBook
- MacBook Pro
- Mac-Mini
- iMac
- Mac Pro
- or something older than those

* Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Oh I guess I should have mentioned that sorry, it's a Macbook pro 2.5GHz running Lion

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh I guess I should have mentioned that sorry, it's a Macbook pro 2.5GHz running Lion

Thanks for the info…yes that helps us "visualize" what you have.

- How long have these lines been appearing?
- How often do they appear? For example how long can you use the computer (on average) before they show up?
- Can you be more specific what model MacBook Pro 2.5ghz it is (there have been a number of them over the years)? Or just tell us approx. how old it is.
- Have you tried booting the computer from an OS CD/DVD, or an external HD with an OS on it?
- Have you tried a PRAM reset?
- Have you tried an SMC reset?
- Have you done anything to it such as a hardware upgrade (ram or HD)?
- Have you cleaned it ever (dirt/fuzz)?
- If this computer is not too old…does it still have Applecare remaining on it?

Just a bunch of stuff to throw your way to see if anything helps. I could just say that your logic board or graphics hardware are going bad (which is very possible)…but wanted to cross some other stuff "off the troubleshooting list" first before declaring the worst!

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the help Nick.

The lines have been appearing for about three weeks now, I can't tell you how long I go using my computer before they appear because some days they don't appear at all.
The macbook is only a year old the model type is A1278 I have not done any type of resets or hardware upgrades to it as I have no idea how I'm new to macs. I have not cleaned it, since I got it which I know is probably a bad thing, but I have been planning to spray it down just to get some of the dust that might be around. As for the applecare, I'm not sure if it does or doesn't :\

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The macbook is only a year old the model type is A1278…

As for the applecare, I'm not sure if it does or doesn't

Thanks for the info. The "A1278" narrows things down…but there are/were probably 5-10 MacBook Pro models over a 2 year period with the A1278 designator.

If you don't know if you have Applecare remaining on this computer…you should find out. This problem could be a VERY serious matter…and if you have Applecare remaining…it could make very BIG difference. Like a $500-$700 difference if it's the logic board!!!

Did you buy this computer new or used?

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
I bought this computer new straight from the apple website sometime in August of 2011. That's really all I know about it sorry.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought this computer new straight from the apple website sometime in August of 2011. That's really all I know about it sorry.

Go to the Apple drop-down menu…and select "About This Mac". Tell us what that window says. Mainly the info next to "Processor". Also tell us what display size it has.

As far as Applecare. If you purchased it August 2011…then you had Applecare until at least August 2012. Did you purchase extended Applecare? If not…then you are own your own. And if this is a logic board/graphics hardware issue…you're looking at about a $500-$700 repair.

This potentially could be a very serious matter (unless $500-$700 is peanuts for you)…so I would suggest making a real effort to learn more about this computing situation…and the specifics of your computer!;)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
-13in display
-Version 10.7.5
-Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core 17
-Memory 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
-Graphics Intel HD 3000 384 MB

Reaction score
Black Lines on Mac book air mid 2011

Ive got the same problem, black lines on the desktop and thru the icons

ive made an appointment with apple saturday, might be without my mac for a week...

i think its hardware, my warranty expires 6th Jan, so now is the best time to get it fixed...

ill post what happens post saturday, my mac is mid 2011, mac book air

Good luck

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Might also be a good time to purchase Apple care and extend that warranty another two years?

Reaction score
Some bad news, apple called and said its software, can we rebuild, i said yes

i got it home, within 1 hour, black lines appear again

so another appointment is booked, for this thursday, so close to christmas, not very happy...

anyone got ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like it's graphics related. If it is, it means a new logic board - a very expensive repair if your machine was out of warranty.

And by the way, B&H Photo (an authorized Apple reseller) in New York sells Apple care discounted. Check them out first before buying from Apple. Remember though, you have to purchase Apple care before your original one year warranty expires.

Reaction score
Ok Folks, 'Black Horizontal Lines' has ceased...

Apple replaced the logic board and I got it back, and the lines are gone... and its been running for 5 hours..

Usually they would begin within 1 - 2 hours

The black horizontal lines were just like the author of this thread, if you need clarification...

So my last job here is, to tell people... If you get those lines like myself and the author got, its needs a logic board replacement...

Happy holidays :)

Jones

Reaction score
On No

the lines are back...

6 hours of use and the lines appear again, even after a logic board replacement

it might be software.. i closed MSN down, see how i go till tommorow...

Sorry , black lines are not fixed

Reaction score
Chrome could be causing black lines

Im diagnosing it myself with checking applications that could cause this

and so far it seems, when CHROME is closed down, i dont get the lines

but with chrome open, i get black lines

il test for another 2 days, using safari, and see if im in the all clear

I really dont know why chrome would do this, as ive used it for 11 months, without this incident....

Appt Booked with apple Thursday, so ill explain some more facts to them...

regards,

Reaction score
chrome was updated nov 30th, i think thats whats causing the black lines

read this below:

Title: Google Chrome 23.0.1271.95
Filename: 23.0.1271.95_chrome_installer.exe
File size: 29.24MB (30,659,064 bytes)
Requirements: Windows XP / Vista / Windows7 / XP64 / Vista64 / Windows7 64 / Windows8 / Windows8 64
Languages: Multiple languages
License: Open Source
Date added: November 30, 2012
Author: Google

id close down chrome and see if you still get the black lines

30th Nov is just 1 day before your lines started Author Dec 1st post - hmm

Reaction score
Solution

The problem seems to be coming from the latest versions of Google Chrome web browser..

i suggest you shut down Google Chrome, and use safari

I havent had a problem since....

Good Luck

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What disturbs me about your problem with black lines is the fact that Apple diagnosed it as needing a new logic board. I'm wondering how many logic boards that have been unnecessarily replaced or diagnosed as bad that really were not?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.