Music tags in Finder List View

Reaction score
I have been searching the internet and this forum all morning long and I can't find a way to show music info such as Album, Track Number, Artist, etc in Finder. I know its possible because when I go into the iTunes music folders in finder in list view, I right click on the column and I can check-mark album, artist, etc.

The suggestion from many seems to be "use iTunes". I dont want to use iTunes. I have a thumb drive of music that i may have already imported so I just want to see the tags. I suspect that some i will import and others I wont.

Is there anyway to fool finder to think my thumb drive or any other folder to think its a music folder so i can display these options?

OP
Z
Reaction score
ok, i found a work-around but boy is it ugly. I just opened the itunes music folders in finder, copied over the folder along with the rest of my existing music, went into the folder in list view, right clicked the columns and displayed the album and artist. I found the music i wanted, copied it to iTunes and moved the folder back to the desktop. MAJOR hassle and a feature that should be built-in, IMHO.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.