Twain Sane - Scansnap s1500

Reaction score
I am trying to get my Scasnap s1500 to work with Twain sane

TWAIN SANE Interface for MacOS X

And am having issues. I have been able to talk to and scan with the scanner in terminal, but when I instal twain sane, it doesnt come up in any software, CS6 (yes i installed the twain plugin), image capture, vuescan, etc. I am not sure why it wont come up, i am running mountain line. I also did a fresh install of lion in a virtual machine and tried it there with the exact same result. Not sure if it is my scanner or what? Really frustrated

Reaction score
Interesting. I'm searching the web now for info on scanners as I am interested in buying one for the first time. One of the downsides I've seen noted about Scansnap is the absence of Twain drivers (unlike the competing Canon model.) So is this the purpose of Twain Sane to get around the fact that Scansnap doesn't have Twain drivers? Or is the fact that the Scansnap doesn't have Twain drivers your problem? I'm not a techy guy, so I have no idea. But I was kind of leaning away from the Scansnap because it doesn't have the advantage of Twain drivers-- perhaps you mention a solution I have not seen elsewhere?

OP
P
Reaction score
Yah, the problem is no twain drivers. SANE pretty much made there own way of talking to just about any scanner (originally for linux), and Twain Sane is a plugin to use SANE to work with just about any mac image application. The ScanSnap actually comes with decent software, its one major flaw (which I believe is actually on purpose) is that is lacks any way to scan losslessly. The only two options are compressed JPEG and compressed PDF. For me thats a problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.