Will I Be Able to Use This?

Reaction score
I'm looking at a copy of a book that is "iPad compatible." It says that it is PDF. I do not own an iPad, but I do have a MacBook Pro. I am looking to buy the book to cut and paste some passages into a study summary for an exam (yes, this is legal and within fair use!) If I buy this iPad Book, will I be able to copy and paste from it? I don't want to spend $60 and find out that I cannot.

Here is the book, if it helps:

The Law of Evidence, 6th edition :: Irwin Law Inc.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I would say no.

According to the very first page of their site:

Welcome to the Irwin Law Online BookStore.

This digital catalog only works with the Irwin Law Reader iPad app.
Our iPad App enhances your reading experience with rich content and tools.

Best I can tell, with the Nu-Book format, when you purchase a book in that format you get a "token" which is redeemable only inside the specific Nu-Book app for which it was purchased.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, bobtomay. I know very little about iPads... Would it be possible to download the app onto my MacBook Pro? Also, if I borrowed an iPad (a friend has one), could I then render the book into PDF? I really just want it for copy-paste purposes.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, you will not be able to download it to your MacBook Pro.
It "requires" the Irwin Law Library Reader" iPad app.
That is the only place you are going to be able to download it and read it.

I am quite sure it is using some form of DRM that would need to be cracked to move it onto "and" read it on any other device.

If you want to know "for sure", you need to contact the seller.
They are the ones that can tell you "for sure" what you are able to do with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.