Still having issues with MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently cleaned my macbook with foam cleaner a few keyboard keys stopped working, I have replaced the keyboard and backlight but I am still having the same issues, I have tried a PRAM and SMC reset to no avail.

Any advice would be appreciated

Regards

Reaction score
Have you tried an external keyboard?
See if that does work then go from there...

SM

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for the reply

I have tried an external keyboard and this works fine

Regards

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm trying to figure out exactly what it is you did. The machine was working OK before you sprayed foam cleaner on the keyboard and maybe elsewhere? If that's true, the foam cleaner likely got down onto the logic board and may have caused a short. Liquids and electronics do not mix.

You stated you replaced the keyboard and backlight but have the same issues. What issues are you having and which model MacBook do you have?

OP
D
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out exactly what it is you did. The machine was working OK before you sprayed foam cleaner on the keyboard and maybe elsewhere? If that's true, the foam cleaner likely got down onto the logic board and may have caused a short. Liquids and electronics do not mix.

You stated you replaced the keyboard and backlight but have the same issues. What issues are you having and which model MacBook do you have?

Keys on the keyboard aren't working exactly the same as it was before I took it apart

Model a1286

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's a Mid 2009 MacBook Pro 15" not a MacBook. Anyway, since an external keyboard works OK and you replaced the internal one, it does sound like a logic board problem. What I would do is remove the new keyboard and cable carefully and check the connector on the logic board. There may be some corrosion on the connector or maybe some foam got down into it. Buy a can of compressed air and blow into it and also around the area where the cable plugs into.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Bit late but never use any type of fluid cleaner including foam which is simply H2O and detergent - both damaging to electronics.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.