Odd keyboard behaviour

Reaction score
A couple of months ago I upgraded my iMac to Mountain Lion. The keyboard is doing weird things. Example: in Word, whenever I hit either parenthesis key, i.e., ( or ), a context menu (Copy, Paste, Paste Special, etc.) appears as if I had used the right mouse button. And sometimes when I hold down a key such as the hyphen for repetition, it stops after a few repetitions - or the the same context menu appears. Occasionally I am unable to key in a French accent. This is becoming very annoying. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
A couple of months ago I upgraded my iMac to Mountain Lion. The keyboard is doing weird things. Example: in Word, whenever I hit either parenthesis key, i.e., ( or ), a context menu (Copy, Paste, Paste Special, etc.) appears as if I had used the right mouse button. And sometimes when I hold down a key such as the hyphen for repetition, it stops after a few repetitions - or the the same context menu appears. Occasionally I am unable to key in a French accent. This is becoming very annoying. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I don't have much to offer in the way of help, but two obvious things to look at (and I apologize for stating the obvious, but its all I have):
1) Have you checked to see whether you are running the latest update on MS Word? It is possible there have been bug fixes released for Mtn Lion
2) Battery level (assuming you are using a wireless keyboard). Don't know the symptoms would be what you are seeing, but I know mine can get a bit flaky when the batteries get low.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks very much. I just downloaded the latest MS Office updates. My keyboard is not wireless. Problem not yet solved. It may be a mouse problem because I'm noticing that the pointer sometimes flickers and doesn't always go where I want it to go, e.g., on a drop-down menu, it's sometimes hard to get the pointer to go to the item I want. Maybe I need a new mouse??

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thanks very much. I just downloaded the latest MS Office updates. My keyboard is not wireless. Problem not yet solved. It may be a mouse problem because I'm noticing that the pointer sometimes flickers and doesn't always go where I want it to go, e.g., on a drop-down menu, it's sometimes hard to get the pointer to go to the item I want. Maybe I need a new mouse??

Definitely worth trying a new or different mouse (if you have one).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.