First Impressions of iTunes 11.0

Reaction score
1. My first impression of the user interface is that it's "square" and "flat".
Esthetically I don't see it as an improvement. To the contrary, I think
the former interface is nicer.

2. After starting iTunes 11.0 it sat there for 1/2 an hour with the message
"Sending Information to Apple", then a dialog box displayed with:

We cannot complete your iTunes Store request
An unknown error occurred (4002)

Note that three subsequent attempts resulted in the same iTunes match error.

3. Could not find a way to change the BRIGHT WHITE background. I hate the white
background for various reasons. I'm sure many other customers preferred the dark background, or at least having the option.

4. Tried syncing my iPhone and had to cancel. It was copying 49 apps, I believe
some of these were from my iPad. Had to then restart iTunes.

5. Movies in grid view have large gaps in between the rows of movies.
It is UGLY! Is it just me, or do others have these huge gaps?

6. Looking at my music, I see no way to view the songs in a list view.
Where are the convenient buttons which quickly allowed changing views?
Now there is just unused space where they used to be. And all of
the menu items under View -> Column Browser are disabled.

Why???

7. You can no longer resize the album covers in grid view.

8. I read another post which said that there is no longer cover flow available when viewing audio books. Are they serious?

9. Hey, at least they brought back color icons, which Apple deemed that
no one liked! (That was sarcasm).

Overall I am extremely dissapointed with this update, and it has me wondering
how the most valuable company in the world could release something that looks
more at home on a Linux desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll stick with my trusty iTunes v10.7.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I actually like it. It doesn't look bloated like the previous versions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I haven't decided if I really like it yet. It's certainly a lot cleaner in appearance, and I definitely like how they finally... FINALLY... merged all TV seasons for a show under one listing now. Unfortunately that didn't carry over to the Apple TV (yet). I'm also annoyed that they still haven't provided a persistent iTunes server that runs in the background. It's highly annoying that I have to have iTunes open on my Mac to use the Apple TV.

I think overall I'll have to call it a win, though I'd much rather they had taken the iOS apps off entirely and merged it with the Mac App Store. That, or just made a new app for the iOS App Store and let us manage devices from there. Shoehorning it into iTunes has always seemed bizarre.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
So far the speed of everything in the new iTunes makes it worth it for me.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
At first glance last night I was ready to post and suggest everyone wait for more reviews before installing it. After another 5-10 minutes of playing around with it, I need to do a lot more playing around to have any opinion.

They did have the new Ice Age in HD for $15 and almost bought that.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I installed it last night too (mainly on the promise of improved Playlists), but haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I am pleased so far but miss cover flow for albums.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think overall I'll have to call it a win, though I'd much rather they had taken the iOS apps off entirely and merged it with the Mac App Store.

I also like that idea, however, wouldn't that leave Windows users out in the cold?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I'm also annoyed that they still haven't provided a persistent iTunes server that runs in the background. It's highly annoying that I have to have iTunes open on my Mac to use the Apple TV.

I agree 100% with this, they REALLY need to create an iTunes service to supply content to an ATV without having to leave the full iTunes running. I really like that aspect of Plex having the media server running in the background and I think would be an excellent feature for iTunes (as long as you can turn it on and off at ones choice)

Reaction score
iTunes 11.0 Upgrade?

:Confused:
Shouldn't an upgrade be better than a previous iteration? In most world's yes, but there are a few things that are wonky. NO DISPLAY DUPLICATES and no total song count. How many people are going to have bloated library's because they don't know of dup's or their actual song count? Just got off the phone with iTunes phone support (nice folks) but they confirmed both these things were removed and there is no way through them at this time to revert back to iTunes 10.7. Upgrade or not? That's always the chance we take...

:\

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
:Confused:
Shouldn't an upgrade be better than a previous iteration? In most world's yes, but there are a few things that are wonky. NO DISPLAY DUPLICATES and no total song count. How many people are going to have bloated library's because they don't know of dup's or their actual song count? Just got off the phone with iTunes phone support (nice folks) but they confirmed both these things were removed and there is no way through them at this time to revert back to iTunes 10.7. Upgrade or not? That's always the chance we take...

:\

There is time machine for things like that.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I played with it a bit last night and so far haven't seen any negatives (to me) and I do like the changes to playlists.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I also like that idea, however, wouldn't that leave Windows users out in the cold?

Yah, I thought of that as I was posting, thus the thought that a separate iOS App Store app would be more ideal (EDIT: just noticed I didn't actually say that a separate iOS store would be more ideal... it was on my mind though :Oops: ). Merging iOS apps with the MAS might actually be a bad idea... leaving the possibility that someone would buy the wrong kinds of apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 2016 13in 4 Thunderbolt Ports 3.3GHz I7 16 GB Ram
Why did Apple remove the iTunes DJ function? I use that everyday. After seeing the disaster that iTunes 11 is, I uninstalled 11 and reinstalled 10.6. I was going to buy a new Mac notebook, but if it can only run iTunes 11, I will not buy.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why did Apple remove the iTunes DJ function? I use that everyday. After seeing the disaster that iTunes 11 is, I uninstalled 11 and reinstalled 10.6. I was going to buy a new Mac notebook, but if it can only run iTunes 11, I will not buy.

Seems like you aren't the only one with this concern. Did a quick google search and found this. Linky.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have not had the guts to try it yet, somewhat because been very ill and also was not sure I would like it.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have not had the guts to try it yet, somewhat because been very ill and also was not sure I would like it.

Back up and then try it. If you don't like it you could always just revert back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini Late 2014, OS 11.2.3, 2.6GB i5, 16GB ram, 1TB HDD
A hassle getting back to iTunes 10

List view, list view, list view. That's all I used and it had great sorting and playlist-building ability. In iTunes 11, it was unavailable on several screens. The icon-based views are absolutely huge ! I can't work with them. OK so 11 now was on my Lion partition as a failed experiment.

Time Machine gave me trouble reverting back to iTunes 10.

Using Time Machine to restore to v.10, I got: iTunes can not be changed or removed because it is needed by OS X.

So I changed iTunes permissions to allow me to read & write.

It did the restore, but then iTunes 10 couldn't read the library because "it was created by a newer version of iTunes". So I restored my iTunes folder (within my Users>[me]>Music folder). That worked. I'll stick with 10.

*big sigh of relief*

EDIT: Oops! Not fixed yet. "An unknown error occurred (-42408) " So far I can't purchase from iTunes Store...hmmmm Working on that now.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I hate it when the new app converts all your music, pics, Etc then you don't like it and revert back and the older version will not read anything! I guess a Backup is important if you are not sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.