running windows 7 in parallels

Reaction score
Using parallels, windows 7 runs the complex program i need to use very, very slowly. Can i open windows 7 without opening my mac os to gain the needed speed?

Thanx

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Using parallels, windows 7 runs the complex program i need to use very, very slowly. Can i open windows 7 without opening my mac os to gain the needed speed?

Thanx

You will get better/faster Windows performance if you install Windows via "bootcamp". If you're not sure what I mean…give these a read::)

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ru...otcamp-save-yourself-possibly-hours-time.html
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ru...4239-running-windows-mac-switchers-guide.html

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks, but I'm chicken to try Bootcamp now that I'm in Parallels. Anyway of opening Windows without going thru Mac OS? Seems unlikely, but a guy at Apple said I could try starting while holding the Option key, but when I tried, it didn't seem to give me the possibility.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...but a guy at Apple said I could try starting while holding the Option key, but when I tried, it didn't seem to give me the possibility.

The option key method is if you have Windows installed via bootcamp. The option key method works when you have partitioned your hard drive into two partitions (one for the Mac OS & one for Windows) Then when you restart the computer (holding down the Option key)…you get a choice of booting into the Mac OS or Windows.

Since you only have the Mac OS installed (no Windows via bootcamp)…holding the Option key does nothing.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks, Nick. I'll stick to the very slow for now. Maybe I'll graduate to bootcamp at a later date.

Paul

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Nick. I'll stick to the very slow for now. Maybe I'll graduate to bootcamp at a later date.

Paul

Good deal! Something to consider & read up on. When you feel comfortable with it…you can give it a go!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.