85W magsafe charger

Reaction score
Hey,

I have a macbook pro 15 inch (mid 2009). I would like to use this computer for a minecraft server because it consumes not much power. (my desktop computer consumes 250 W and this laptop 85w) But i think 85W constant power is still much.

so now my question is: Is this charger going to consume always 85 W? If the battery is full, does it shut down the charger?

Thanks

Greeting Pieter-Jan

(Sorry for my bad english, i'm dutch :))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Actually, it is possible to run at more than 85w, at which point the battery will be used too. That happens very infrequently though, and yes the charger does have a protection circuit built in.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
But i think 85W constant power is still much.

so now my question is: Is this charger going to consume always 85 W

Just because the magsafe charger is 85watts…does not mean it will consume 85watts. I've had some of my computers (laptops & desktops) plugged into a watt meter…and a 17" MacBook Pro I had even at a pretty heavy load…was consuming 55-60watts. At a much lower load…it consumed closer to 30-35watts.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses

If i power off the computer (or sleep it) will the charger still consume power? Will it always consume something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Any appliance consumes some minor amount of power when plugged in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.