Odd iMac connectivity issues

Reaction score
Until recently everything on our wifi network was fine. We have a DSL modem and a Netgear router, two iMacs, two PC's, an android phone and two iPads. Several days ago the 21" iMac could not connect to the innerwebs, it would give a Server Not Found error despite the Network Preferences pane indicating it is connected. Shortly after that the 27" iMac would drop the connection after a few minutes of browsing. Quitting and reopening the browser would get connectivity on the 27" for differing amounts of time but nothing would get the 21" to connect. In the meantime everything else connects just fine.

After reading through this forum and others I took the following steps;
I changed the Location name
Deleted unused networks from the list
I configured a new location
I rebooted everything multiple times
Wifi card is recognized in both computers
Changed the network name and removed encryption, this helped the 21" iMac for a short time, did nothing for the 27"
Turned Airport/Wifi on and off which helped the 27" as much as quitting and restarting the browser
I renewed the DHCP lease

On the 27" (OSX 10.7.5) these are the settings;
Configure IPv4; using DHCP
PPv4 Address; 192.168.1.5
Subnet mask; 255.255.255.0
Router; 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers; 192.168.1.1 (greyed out)

Upon renew DHCP Lease the settings above repopulate with the same values.

On the 21" (OSX 10.6.8) these are the settings;
Varies, sometimes same as above for TCP/IP sometimes as follows;
Configure IPv4; using DHCP
PPv4 Address; 169.254.179.234
Subnet mask; 255.255.0.0
Router; Blank
DNS Servers; Always blank

When it has the above settings the Network Pane indicates there is no IP address or that it is a Self-Assigned IP

Regardless of the settings the 21" will not connect. The settings on the 27" are always stable and internet access comes and goes despite indicating it is connected.

Throughout all of this the other devices have no problem. There had been no recent modifications to the hardware or software of either iMac.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.