can't access Time Machine backup

Reaction score
My imac computer was replaced recently. Now I cannot access backed up files from the previous machine.

The message time machine "xxx folder can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents"

Help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

In order to use your Time Machine backup drive for restoring to the new hard drive do this:

Mount the drive on your desktop. Right click on the drive and select "Get Info". At the bottom of the box that opens you'll see a small lock. Click on the lock and enter your admin password. The lock should open. Go to the Sharing and Permissions section (above the lock) and change the permissions to read and write for the System. Now try again to use TM to restore your data to the new drive.

Let us know if this works for you.

OP
E
Reaction score
"System" is not listed as an option under "Name" in Sharing & Permissions. I changed the user names that were there to read & write. When I go to save the changes, the computer says "applying privileges to "Elements" (the external drive) but that step never completes...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.