iPhoto: Lost Edit and Full Screen Functionality

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
Being honest, this may be due to the installation of Front Row on my Mac Mini (though I believe I recall it working since installing it). Yes, I know installation of FR on a mini is neither supported, advised, etc). Then again, I've installed a lot of software lately (including X11 and Gimp), so I'm just not sure what might have hosed that functionality. I looked on the OS X install CD's but couldn't find iPhoto. Tried replacing the existing installation/app from a backup, but the same issue remains. The "edit" button does nothing. A second click on it, will usually hang iPhoto. Attempting to edit in another window or full screen likewise does nothing (full screen shows only a black screen). By now, I'm sure it's quite obvious that I'm a Mac newbie (about 2 weeks). I'd certainly appreciate whatever anyone has to offer. Thanks!

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Delete the plist file? (Spotlight iPhoto plist and delete the plist that pops up).

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aptmunich said:
Delete the plist file? (Spotlight iPhoto plist and delete the plist that pops up).

No luck, but I appreciate the though/reply just the same. I did have success setting iPhoto to edit using an external application, and chose The Gimp. That's certainly a nice editor, so that might not be such a bad thing.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, the Gimp is very cool..

Otherwise just try grabbing the iPhoto package off your system disks using Pacifist (versiontracker.com) and resinstall that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
Have you tried repairing permissions and repairing disk?

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aptmunich said:
Yeah, the Gimp is very cool..

Otherwise just try grabbing the iPhoto package off your system disks using Pacifist (versiontracker.com) and resinstall that.

I searched both OS X install discs, and though I found a few packages that looked right, I couldn't find a package that once opened, contained iPhoto. I'll have another look. I have used Pacifist, and have a feel for what I'm looking for, but I must have missed it the first look. I imagine it *has* to be there, unless the drives are pre-loaded and that package isn't included.

Mark

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macAttack said:
Have you tried repairing permissions and repairing disk?

I used Onyx, and took the default automation choices (based on what I read in another post), and had no luck.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
long shot- but boot from your restore cds, and open up disk utility and repair disk, prob won't do too much, but its worth it

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macAttack said:
long shot- but boot from your restore cds, and open up disk utility and repair disk, prob won't do too much, but its worth it

Forgive my paranoia, but as Windows user for many years, I've seen Windows repairs produce some very much less than desirable results. Do I have anything to be worried about doing this (desktop/app preferences, etc)?

FWIW, since getting this Mac Mini (now about 3 weeks ago), I think I've used the Windows machine once or twice. Who knew? :)

Mark

Reaction score
Disk utility is a good program (unlike Norton-don't install that) , I've never had any problems with it. It's safe to use !!!

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mr Bobbins said:
Disk utility is a good program (unlike Norton-don't install that) , I've never had any problems with it. It's safe to use !!!

Excellent, thank you. I steer clear of any Symantec app.

Mark

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Solved!
I finally got on the right path by viewing the console log output, which was:

+[CIPlugIn _addPlugIn:allowNonExecutable:]: selector not recognized

Entering the exact error in Google, I found this:

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?p=279658

Thanks to user 3guk there, who posted this, and it fixed it:

Open a terminal window : less /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleAppSupport.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/version.plist

If in there you see a version number that is 1.2 then you have found your problem, it should be version 1.4 and has been causing problems for many.

If you have version 1.2 rather than 1.4 then do the following in terminal : mv /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleAppSupport.framework /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleAppSupport.framework.old

Then with your Tiger install DVD inserted then : cp -pr /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleAppSupport.framework /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/

If you have a tiger update DVD then use the following : cp -pr /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Update\ DVD/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleAppSupport.framework /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhoto: Lost Full Screen and Edit Functionality - SOLVED

This might be worth making a sticky somewhere, as it took me some real hunting to find the solution.

If you experience this issue, view the console output when iPhoto fails to work properly (full screen mode). If you see the following, what's below will likely resolve it for you.

+[CIPlugIn _addPlugIn:allowNonExecutable:]: selector not recognized

Entering that exact error in Google, I found this:

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?p=279658

Thanks to user 3guk there, who posted what follows, my iPhoto functionality is restored. Note that I used "get info" to first change the permissions so that the "move" would work. I also found it easier, once the framework was moved to "old" to simply drag the files from the OS X install disc. I then, set the permissions back as they were. Here's what fixed it:

Open a terminal window : less /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleAppSupport.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/version.plist

If in there you see a version number that is 1.2 then you have found your problem, it should be version 1.4 and has been causing problems for many.

If you have version 1.2 rather than 1.4 then do the following in terminal : mv /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleAppSupport.framework /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleAppSupport.framework.old

Then with your Tiger install DVD inserted then : cp -pr /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleAppSupport.framework /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/

If you have a tiger update DVD then use the following : cp -pr /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Update\ DVD/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleAppSupport.framework /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, some fix you found there...

Glad you got everything sorted!

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks!
I felt confident (as soon as I saw I had version 1.2 of the framework) that fix would do it, and was thrilled to see iPhoto doing everything it should again. It just took me awhile to realize that the console log can provide valuable information.

Mark

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.