How much should I ask for a "broken" Macbook Pro 13" from 2009?

Reaction score
I'm not great with computers and know I've made some silly mistakes with my macbook pro so please do not berate! :) I'm trying to be a lot more careful with my new macbook. Anyway:

I got a "low end" macbook pro at the end of 2009. It was a 13" with a 2.26 GHz processor and 160G hard drive. Purchased for around $1200.
A year ago, I spilled some water on the keyboard so about half of the keys did not work. I bought a bluetooth keyboard to use.
I also started using a knockoff charger after I lost the regular one about 6 months ago.

A week ago, my computer suddenly shut off after I heard a loud whirring noise. I think the battery is dead due to the knockoff charger >_< (my fault).

Anyway, I'm trying to sell this macbook pro on craigslist and got an offer for $150 (also including the 1 year old bluetooth keyboard that I purchased for $70 new). Aesthetically, the inside is in perfect condition (keyboard/screen/track pad), but the top of the laptop has a slight dent and the bottom has a few hardly noticeable scratches. Overall, in good condition.

I thought I would come and post on this forum to see if I can get any advice regarding the price I should get for this macbook. I do think the only issues are the keys, battery, and possibly the fan...but everything else inside should be fine since it was working flawlessly before it suddenly gave out.

Advice is appreciated. Thank you!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your best bet is to check comparable machines and what they sell for on eBay. Lots of broken and not working Macs can be found there. Compare prices and adjust yours accordingly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.