G4 won't boot

Reaction score
I took it to the apple store and it booted fine - wouldn't boot from home when I got back home

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Is it a G4 Power Mac, iMac, iBook etc?

By not booting do you mean no chime, nothing, or it chimes, you have a display, but the OS fails to load?

I doubt the Apple store would have been able to assist anyway, as they class all G4 based Mac's as vintage, with no support.

OP
B
Reaction score
The G4 mini tower won't boot at home - I press the load button - light comes on - goes off nothing happens. But when I took it in for service - they hooked it up and it booted fine. I thought it was fixed but when I took in back home it wouldn't boot again

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The G4 mini tower won't boot at home - I press the load button - light comes on - goes off nothing happens. But when I took it in for service - they hooked it up and it booted fine. I thought it was fixed but when I took in back home it wouldn't boot again

Just a thought. Is the PRAM battery dead? Sometimes with some models...a dead PRAM battery can cause problems.

Next question...What & where is the PRAM battery??;) It looks like this (if you don't know):

NWTBAA36VPRAM.jpg
or this
cr2032.jpg

FYI...size DOESN'T matter!!!;) Just different photo sizes!:)

You need to test it with a multimeter for "life".

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The above was the cause when my G4 had those symptoms, you can get them from Radio Shack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Just a thought, are you using a display connected to an ADC connector on the graphics card? It so you'll have only the lead going to the G4 and no mains lead. Many times I've seen situations like yours where a short in the display (Formac 17" ADC displays were well known for this) shuts down the G4. If not you may simply have an intermittent power supply. Batteries can sometimes cause problems, although their main problems related to certain LC and Performa systems from way back.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Batteries can sometimes cause problems, although their main problems related to certain LC and Performa systems from way back.

I agree. Dead PRAM batteries are usually more problematic with stuff from the mid-late 1990's. I have some Centris and early Powermac's (7100, 8100) where dead PRAM batteries can cause havoc!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.