Time to upgrade or replace?

Reaction score
Hi guys/gals,
I have a 2009 MacBook Pro running 10.5.8, 2g ram, dead onboard sound card (using outboard workaround), 2/3 full HD, and non-functioning DVD/CD drive. ( I downloaded my entire music CD collection so it may just need thorough cleaning). I love the software interface, love the keyboard, and the screen definition. Battery seems to be in very good condition also.

It seems that support for 10.5.8 is winding down and some programs will not run on it. I am a musician but not really a power user spending 60% doing internet search, youtube vids & email, 30% doing music downloads/recording/mixing/editing, and 10% WP/Excel.

Does it make sense to do a complete refurbish with new OS, sound card, DVD/CD drive and perhaps increased RAM on this machine, or should I sell this off cheap and buy all new? Thoughts?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You'll spend more time and likely more $$ trying to refurbish that machine. Time to let it go and buy a new one. A new 13" MBP is still reasonably priced even when adding some extras like a SSD. If you have big $ to spend, the new 15" MBP or Retina machines are top of the line.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the response chscag.
I was thinking I could use Applecare ext warranty purchase to cover repairs for $249, add OS software upgrade for $40, and ram for $80. That would be $800 less than a new 13" machine but I would still have 3yr old HD and Batt. Hmmmm. Without all systems working the resale on my current machine would be pretty low I think.

My goal is to repair and modernize my Mac experience without burning unnecessary Benjamins. What other downsides are there to going a refurbish vs replacement path?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
I was thinking I could use Applecare ext warranty purchase to cover repairs for $249

If I follow correctly, you'd purchase AppleCare to cover the hardware repair? If so, AppleCare can only be purchased within the first 12 months after purchase, so isn't possible.

To fix the faults you describe you're likely to need an exchange logic board and optical drive, then upgrade costs of RAM and Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion, and possibly a larger hard drive. The total would exceed its value.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was thinking I could use Applecare ext warranty purchase to cover repairs for $249, add OS software upgrade for $40, and ram for $80.

From an ethical standpoint…you don't purchase Applecare to cover repairs that are pre-existing! Also…Applecare covers manufacturing defects…NOT repairs for equipment that is basically worn out from years of use (and in some cases…abuse).

My goal is to repair and modernize my Mac experience without burning unnecessary Benjamins.

This may be an honest, fair, and reasonable goal (just like how any of us would like to do it)…but what you mentioned above about buying Applecare to go about doing it is dishonest!:(

And as "techiesteve" mentioned…you cannot purchase extended Applecare after the first 12 months.

What other downsides are there to going a refurbish vs replacement path?

The obvious answer is…buying a new or refurbished computer from Apple will cost you money!;)

Overall…you mentioned having 3 problems:

- The computer's sound doesn't work.
- The hard drive is almost full.
- the CD/DVD drive doesn't work.

* The sound problem is the biggest issue. When you say the sound doesn't work…is this just the sound thru the speakers…or do you still get sound via the audio-out port? The computer does not have a "sound card"…so a new logic board will be needed (expensive).

* To fix the hard drive problem…just install a bigger hard drive (or manage files better by removing "junk" and moving non-needed files to an external storage source).
* How often do you need your CD/DVD drive? If not often or ever…don't worry about it. If you do need it…then you could replace it with a less expensive used drive.
* I would upgrade the ram (only have 2gig currently).
* Definitely upgrade the OS (as long as it won't make any of your apps. non-compatible with the newer OS version).

Other than the replacement logic board for the sound problem…everything else could be solved relatively cheaply (compared to buying a new computer). It just depends on how much effort & DIY you're willing to do.:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses all and I will consider this further. I can workaround the sound and optical drive issues with inexpensive outboard USB devices so I'm not dead yet.

A note of clarification for those who were uncomfortable or offended by my idea to use applecare for repairs. I took the notebook in to the Apple store when the sound device first failed and it was 1.5yrs old and out of warranty. The gentleman at the Genius desk tested the sound and suggested I needed a new logic board. He said I could sign up for applecare (after 18 months of ownership) and these repairs would be covered. This seemed to be standard operating procedure and he suggested I could make this decision at any time. I had no idea there were time limitations or that this would be in any way dishonest. I have no intentions of "pulling a fast one" and attempting to obtain warranty repair without full disclosure. Sorry if I gave that impression.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The gentleman at the Genius desk tested the sound and suggested I needed a new logic board. He said I could sign up for applecare (after 18 months of ownership) and these repairs would be covered.

I wonder who it was at the Genius desk that told you that? Apple technicians go through a period of training and part of their training is understanding and correctly relating the Apple warranty. Apple care has always had to be purchased during the time of the original warranty period (one year). After the one year expires, Apple care can no longer be purchased.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
A note of clarification for those who were uncomfortable or offended by my idea to use applecare for repairs. I took the notebook in to the Apple store when the sound device first failed and it was 1.5yrs old and out of warranty. The gentleman at the Genius desk tested the sound and suggested I needed a new logic board. He said I could sign up for applecare (after 18 months of ownership) and these repairs would be covered.

100% agree with "chscag"!!! This has never been Apple's policy to be able to purchase extended Applecare….AFTER the original 12 month Applecare period has expired. This Apple employee clearly did not know what they were talking about, was seriously confused, or just finished smoking a "doobie"!;)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
100% agree with "chscag"!!! This has never been Apple's policy to be able to purchase extended Applecare….AFTER the original 12 month Applecare period has expired. This Apple employee clearly did not know what they were talking about, was seriously confused, or just finished smoking a "doobie"!;)

- Nick

Thanks for the clarification Nick. Everyone is just so friendly and helpful here. Next time I go to an Apple store I will do a "weed check" before considering their suggestions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.