G5 HD issue!!!

Reaction score
Hello every one ;D

I have a question that I'd love the answer to and I'm hoping to find that answer here...

My PPC G5's life came to an abrupt end yesterday, today I have organized a replacement.

Question is: Can I take my old HD out of the dead G5 and put it directly into the replacement G5 and have my computer come back to life again so speak :\

I've software and projects I'd love to start using again with out having to carry out some kind of 8 week migration task :Lips-Are-Sealed:

Thank you kind people of the Earth....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Hope you had all that data backed up. Pop the new drive in position one, make the old drive slave by changing the jumpers and put in position two. Using your system install discs format the new drive Mac OS Extended and run the Installer. Then see if you can access the slave drive via Disk Utility an d proceed from there.

OP
V
Reaction score
Sounds like sense

Yeah thank you, I'll be trying that as soon as the replacement arrives later on today...

Thank you again :|

OP
V
Reaction score
So

Are you saying that the old internal hard drives can in theory only be accessed through the old G5 and that maybe it'll be possible [with a stroke of luck] to access the old drives through the new G5? Maybe!!!

The old hard drives won't work in a hot swappable manner so to speak?

I can't just take the new hard drive out of the new G5 and simply replace it with the old hard drive and then boot up? and have things as they were in the old G5?

I'm getting very worried now :*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
the new drive will require formatting Mac OS Extended (Journaled) which you do by placing the new drive in bay one, pop in your install disc, reboot and hold down 'C' immediately after the chime, leave the Installer and go to Utilities > Disk Utility and format there. Then back to the Installer and install the operating system.

The old drive may be used in an external case, but install in bay two is the best position and set up as slave and seeing if it appears in Disk Utility after installing the operating system on disk one. Only trial and error will reveal if anything is available on the old drive.

From your post you did not have a spare drive as a backup using cloning software?

OP
V
Reaction score
Sure

Remember though: I had a Power Mac G5 and have a replacement, 2nd hand Power Mac G5, same model same OS etc The hard drive in the new G5 [2nd hand] will all ready have been formatted... I brought the same spec replacement hoping I could swap the hard drive over...

I had most data stored on a back up drive but some software I'm gonna need is stored on the old master drive...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Remember though: I had a Power Mac G5 and have a replacement, 2nd hand Power Mac G5, same model same OS etc The hard drive in the new G5 [2nd hand] will all ready have been formatted... I brought the same spec replacement hoping I could swap the hard drive over...

I had most data stored on a back up drive but some software I'm gonna need is stored on the old master drive...

I think there has been some confusion in the replies you've received as you are obtaining a 'new' Power Mac G5, not a new hard drive. BTW, the PM G5 uses SATA hard drives, these don't have master/slave jumpers, that went out with ATA. If you need to select a different boot drive select it in system preferences, or if temp, by holding ALT at boot time, then selecting.

If the hard drives are good and swapped to the replacement G5, they will start up just the same as in your previous G5. The only issue could be if any of your applications were tied to the S/N of your dead G5 you may have problems. Adobe creative suite is one such application, as you obviously can't transfer the activation. If you have empty RAM slots on the replacement G5 consider populating them with RAM from the dead Mac.

I use a PM G5 too, and keep an identical model with a defective logic board that was thrown out as a potential donor for spares.

OP
V
Reaction score
Wow! yeah! you got it, that's just what I was asking.

I will have an issue then with Logic Pro! I have the original disks but I don't remember seeing the numerical id stuff for a while, fingers crossed though!

But you [Techiesteve] seam to be implying that RAM for the old G5 installed into the new [old] G5 might solve the software [logic Pro] S/N issue? is that right...

Just in conversation now, I'm thinking about buying 5-10 second hand G5's and using the node function within Logic Pro, having the power of all those G5's together to run my synthesizers and Logic Pro projects would be amazing and at the incredibly low price of second hand 2Ghz G5's [£80-£100] I'm growing very excited at the prospect...

Thank you to everyone that replied to my post, most appreciated really, even if there was some deciphering to be done...

Voyage [Emcee Recordings London]

-Voyage [DnB]'s Spotlight page on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
But you [Techiesteve] seam to be implying that RAM for the old G5 installed into the new [old] G5 might solve the software [logic Pro] S/N issue? is that right...

No, I was just suggesting that if your replacement PM G5 wasn't already maxed out with RAM, to take some from the dead Mac to populate any empty slots.

OP
V
Reaction score
All sorted

Everything went as smooth as the proverbial baby's bottom. Put the old HD's into the new [old] G5 and she booted up as if it was my old G5, strange philosophical identity problems are brewing ;D

Thanks again all

Voyage..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.