Help retrieving deleted files

Reaction score
I really made a mess of things, and I'm not sure where to start. I stupidly downloaded Mackeeper and ran it. After seeing the negative posts, I uninstalled it and emptied my trash. Now, I can't access documents on my computer. When I try to open up a document, a message says it is being used by another user. (I'm not sure what other programs it affected.) I don't know what to do. Can these files be retrieved from anywhere, or am I totally screwed? I haven't done a recent backup, and I know I will lose certain important docs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Try rebooting the machine first of all.

And what types of documents - all of them, some, only a particular file type?

Do you have multiple user accounts on the machine?

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, I restarted the computer and the docs are still unavailable. When I click on them, a message poops up asking from which program to convert. These were word docs, but when I click "Microsoft Word" it says that 'The XML file cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents.
Details:
Incorrect document syntax

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
All of these worked prior to using MacKeeper?

Have no answer for you - don't use any MS products in OS X myself.

One solution I found while searching suggests opening them in TextEdit or LibreOffice - then copy/paste the text back into a new word doc. This may not be an acceptable solution if we're talking hundreds of files.

You might want to provide what version Office you're using.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.