iTunes - Move to Trash Question...

P

pcleaveland

In iTunes, when you delete a song it used to ask me if you would like to move the song to the trash. Now that option isn't there, and I want it to come back.

I'm sure what I did was click "no" and checked the "don't ask me this again"... but in fact, I do want it to keep asking me. I frequently add/delete songs, and I don't want the unwanted music to clutter my music folder.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I think you have to delete your iTunes Prefs (com.apple.itunes.plist) and then reopen iTunes, but I'm not sure....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
That only happens when iTunes isn't managing your music. If it is set to copy all of the music to the iTunes library it will ask you that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I disagree. ITunes is NOT managing my music and it asks me that every-time I delete songs from iTunes.

OP
P

pcleaveland

I was just messing around, after backing all my music up of course :headphone , and I clicked "Consolidate Library"... now when I go to delete a song the option is back. Yay.

I think it might have something to do with the music being located in the "iTunes" folder you specify in the iTunes prefs.

My other music was stuff I had imported from vinyl, and I imported it into another folder. I figgered it out.

Thanks for the replys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
baggss said:
I disagree. ITunes is NOT managing my music and it asks me that every-time I delete songs from iTunes.
By manage I just meant the Copy Files to iTunes Library

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, sorry.

And yes, it does have to do with tracks being in the library designated in iTunes. Mine will ask me the question for tracks I know are not stored in my designated library folder, but it will not delete those tracks even if I click yes. It will only delete tracks stored inside the designated Library folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.