Regarding Dual boot on MacBookPro

Reaction score
Hi,

I have few doubts on Dual boot on MacBook Pro. Can any one help me with this?

I have MacBook Pro with OS X Lion 10.7.5. I want to make it dual boot by installing OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion creating one more volume on the drive. Confused with licencing things. Should I purchase a new OS X for Mountain Lion or a upgrade for Lion? If an upgrade, will it be a app which upgrades present Lion to Mountain Lion or a DMG that can be used to install on other volume???

Thank you,
Praneeth

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Mountain Lion only comes in one version - a full install. You will need to partition your hard drive prior to downloading ML. Also, rather than allowing ML to install, you'll need to create a bootable USB flash drive from the installer. Otherwise, the installer will overwrite your Lion installation. You then can boot your Mac with the flash drive and direct the ML install to the partition you created. Google for instructions on how to create a bootable flash drive from the ML installer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.