Running Apps From External Hard Drive

Reaction score
Hey guys, I ran into a quick dilemma with with my 11 inch macbook air 2012 version. The issue is that I purchased a small internal hard drive model, and I am starting to feel the toll of it. And I was wondering is there is a way to set default installation path to my external HD.

I already relocated my download path of safari and iTunes, but it would be nice to be able to install apps that way as well. I do understand that I might experience some issues with App Store apps, due to them being connected to an account and due to updates and such.

But what about apps from not app store, is it possible to set up a path for them. Such as games, help application and software?

Switching from pc to mac I would hope so (because on Windows it's a basic step in installing software)

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can run applications from an external hard drive that allow installation that way. But most major applications will default to the MacIntosh HD and attempting to run them from an external drive will not only be slow but may not update correctly.

Other World Computing sells an upgrade SSD kit for the MBA but it's expensive and will require opening the machine up to swap it out. Here's the LINK. Scroll on down to the bottom of the page for MacBook Air upgrades.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.