whats the best format for Ext HDD

Reaction score
Hi

I Have a Mac Desktop and want to save Files / Folders to a Ext HDD

I'm trying to find some current answers on what format I should make my Ext HDD

Preferably something that will enable me to read / write both between Mac and Windows systems

Is Fat32 still the way to go - or are there limitations......?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The only limitation off the top of my head is that you can't transfer files larger than 4GB onto a FAT32 formatted disk.

OP
D
Reaction score
The only limitation off the top of my head is that you can't transfer files larger than 4GB onto a FAT32 formatted disk.

I guess my next question would be what format will enable file sizes larger than 4GB transfer from my Mac to an Ext HDD....?

OP
D
Reaction score
Can an NTFS Ext drive be reformatted to exfat

Hi

I'm trying to reformat a WD EXt HDD from NTFS to exfat

but i get an error saying that was unable to format

is this a faulty HDD or is it that I cant reformat to exFat from NTFS....

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Your bet is a 3rd party NTFS driver for your Mac like Paragon. Other options, but that is one I'm familiar with.

EDIT: BTW I've merged your other post to this thread. Please don't cross post or make multiple posts on the same subject.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have not delved into exFAT since it's really a proprietary MS format and no full spec yet released by them. Keep all my plain old data drives as NTFS and use Paragon's NTFS for Mac on my Macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.