Macbook Pro Late 2011 upgrade questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2019 16" 2.4 i9 32GB 2TB SSD AMD 5500 8GB
I'm looking at buying a Macbook Pro late 2011 2.4 or 2.5 with 15" screen, to replace my older unit.
Most were made with a standard HDD. How difficult is it to completely replace the HDD with a SSD or hybrid? I still want to retain the optical drive inside the computer.
Also, how difficult is ram replacement on this model? I will most likely want to max it out.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2019 16" 2.4 i9 32GB 2TB SSD AMD 5500 8GB
How difficult is the software transition onto the new drive? Keep in mind that the old drive will no longer be inside the computer. I want to completely replace it. What happens to programs/software that is licensed to only one computer such as Adobe or Windows?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Pick yourself up one of these:

Newegg.com - Vantec 2.5"/3.5"/5.25" SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter - Model CB-ISATAU2

It will allow you to connect the new drive externally. Then, use a tool like SuperDuper! or CarbonCopyCloner to clone the old drive to the new drive. Swap the new drive in when it's done and you're done.

Software that uses a product activation scheme will not be affected - it would require a much more substantial change to trigger re-activation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.