Get off of my Cloud !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac air,iPad mini,ipods
Have an iPhone, soon to be iPad mini, and a new Mac air. At some point soon I will be leting my other half have exclusive use of the old computer. How can I make sure that changes that I do on my new air does not effect the old computer ? Mostly I do not want to have my emails flash on the old screen as I am getting these on my new computer. I will want to still sync with my phone and iPad mini.

Thanks in advance for the help

Bob J

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
You don't mention which OS you are running or iOS for that matter, so my comments are of a general nature.

Each and every Apple device that is capable (via its OS) of syncing with iCloud allows you to identify what things you want synced and what you don't.

For example, you can arrange for Mail, Contacts, Calendar & Bookmarks to be synced from your iPad to the iCloud; but only Contacts, say, from your iPhone and none of these from your Mac Air.

So, if you're "donating" your old Mac to your partner, go into "System Preferences">iCloud and check or uncheck those things which you want to sync from that Mac. You might choose Contacts & Calendars, for instance, as it might be useful for you to share these with your partner; but exclude Mail & Bookmarks because they are more personal to you.

Basically, what I'm saying is that for each device, choose what you want synced. In the case of the old Mac, it could range from nothing to just Contacts & Calendars etc.

Another thought is that your partner could set up their own Apple ID on the old Mac and sync just what they want with a new iCloud account; but I think my earlier suggestions are easier and permit some continuing commonality between all of your combined devices. Ian

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac air,iPad mini,ipods
Thanks for the info IWT. You were spot on. I am running 10.8.2 and have a new iPhone 5. Linda thought we could save $$ by sharing a laptop. I found I really need my own stuff. Also notice that I can change the email info on the cloud when I am ready to make a complete break but having 1/2 ownership in the other laptop am not sure when that might be.

Many Thanks

Bob j

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.