Can't move files to Udrive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 27' iMacs, 2nd gen iPad, iPhone 5, Macbook.
Hey guys. So, recently, my Mac has been at the point where files need to be moved.
I have a 8 terabyte Udrive. I do a lot of video editing. So the catagory thats using my Mac up the most is movies/.mov files.

I tried to move a bunch of my .mov files over, left it to do it's thing. But came back to a message of some sort saying something like "Can not move <filename> because it is being used" I have all my programs closed other then chrome, and finder. So, I hit ok on the message, and it cancelled all the other file transfers.

Any help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The next time you get that message, open your Activity Monitor application (Applications, Utilities, Activity Monitor.app) and check to see which program or process is keeping the file(s) open. When you find which one is guilty, highlight it and press the small stop sign (Quit Process) at the top menu. That should release the file(s) for copy or move.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The next time you get that message, open your Activity Monitor application (Applications, Utilities, Activity Monitor.app) and check to see which program or process is keeping the file(s) open. When you find which one is guilty, highlight it and press the small stop sign (Quit Process) at the top menu. That should release the file(s) for copy or move.

Thanks chscag. That's exactly what I needed. But another question i have is how do I move the files over? I do not want to copy them over. I'm moving them because im running out of room on my Mac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moving files can be risky, especially large ones. If something goes amiss during the move you may lose the original file. We recommend copying the files first and after ascertaining that they have been copied OK, delete them from the source. I know that process is time consuming but if you value your files, safety first.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Moving files can be risky, especially large ones. If something goes amiss during the move you may lose the original file. We recommend copying the files first and after ascertaining that they have been copied OK, delete them from the source. I know that process is time consuming but if you value your files, safety first.

Thank you. One more thing. How do I go about actually deleting files..? Not just moving to .trash

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.