Emac restore

Reaction score
I bought an old eMac at a garage sale and I was told that they were just using it for Internet. The lady was not aware of any passwords on the computer and when we started it up it didn't require anything. Turns out that the exhusband had set up the computer and gave all users admin privileges. The daughter had it set to log onto her account and she left a really obvious password hint so I know her password but the dad was the main user and I can't seem to do much without his password. Currently it has os 10.2.8 on it but I wanted to upgrade to whatever is the best it can take. I read tiger is the best but I don't think I can do it without the dads password. Is there a way to reset the whole system or wip it out and start all over? There is nothing saved on the compute that I need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Depends on the processor in the eMac which you have not shared with us. OS X.4 Tiger and maybe OS X.5 Leopard, will install on the machine. eBay and auction sites are the best avenues. Check on what type of optical drive is fitted, DVD, Combo or CD, and make sure you purchase a full retail install DVD and not silver/grey model specific discs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.