New Imac inputs via displayport?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have put myself in line to one of the new Imac's, arriving in december. but i have one issue i haven't been able to solve. have been searching but i dont think the answer is clear enough..

I have a windows pc(provided my by employer), that I via a port replicator need to hook up to the Imac.

Is that possible with a display port to DVI adapter?

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
OP
C
Reaction score
So if i understand you correct:

The available apple adapters are only one way? So you can send the signal out of the imac via eg. DVI. But it is not possible to send a DVI signal til the Imac and use is as a monitor??

I read somewhere that the thunderbolt/displayport are bi-directional. But i guess that is only with Apple devices??

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Has nothing to do with "apple" adapters. "All" such adapters will be the same, no matter who makes them. It has to do with the displayport technology.

A displayport signal is "not" compatible with DVI. It gets sort of technical, but the displayport to DVI adapters convert the displayport signal to a DVI signal. This is not just a change in the type of plug being used. They each carry a different type of signal.

There do not exist at this time, any adapter/converter that I am aware of, that will convert a DVI signal to a displayport signal.

If you wish to get technical about why it won't work, you can get started learning more about displayport here.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback,

I guess the my only chance to get a mac with above criteria is to buy a Mac mini or a macbook and attach it to a "normal" monitor

Too bad because i was really keen on the new 2012 imac....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might wait until they're released. There are typically several reviews, includ'g from Anandtech and others on the new models once they can get their hands on them. We'll have a lot better knowledge at that time about what is really possible.

OP
C
Reaction score
Just Found out that my Lenovo x230 has Mini DisplayPort output. I guess this will make it possible to hook it up to the iMac thunderbolt port? Or is that only possible with the 27"?

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From what I have read and according to the Apple link I posted above - the answer is no - it will not work.

A Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt is required - mdp to mdp does not work.

For any better answer as to whether this has changed on the new models, we're going to have to wait until the new models are in the testers hands and we see some reviews - or call/visit Apple and ask - although the latter is probably not the best solution - since who knows whether any particular individual you might contact has been filled in on this particular question. In my experience, those Apple "geniuses' know very little about inter-connecting video devices.

OP
C
Reaction score
Just found this article:
How to Use iMac As a PC Monitor | Tech Tips - Salon.com

and also the target display mode, explained in the last "references" link

Out of this I conclude that if the PC has mini display port, the Imac can output. And i guess the new Imac is backwards compatible, so that the thunderbolt port also can handle mini displayport signals...

What do you think?

OP
C
Reaction score
Could anybody comment on the link? Could this be valid? Or does it require a actual test to verify it?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Due to having no date on that report and having no mention of a "Thunderbolt" port, I would not trust that article.

That article states 2009 models and later. My guess, it was using a 2009 model when it was written and has never been updated since.

It also describes the mini displayport "icon" next to the port on the Mac. The Thunderbolt ports do not have that icon, further leading me to believe the article is several years old.

edit:
I know what it's like when you want/ready for a new computer. :)

If you're "hot to trot" to get one of the new iMacs, I'd get it; realizing up front that you may not be able to use it as an external display from any device other than another Thunderbolt port. If it will work from a mini displayport (which the 2011 models will not), consider it an added bonus.

If you "must" have that feature, would once again suggest a call/visit to Apple or wait until the reviews hit.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hehe...yes im very ready :)

Thanks for reply and input....let's see whats happen....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.