Relistically speaking how long is ipad one still good for

Reaction score
I just bought almost new off of ebay a 64 gb 3g ipad one for a child. I did not know that the new os was not supported. Is it a total loss, how long would she be able to use it for? IMO it is still a nicely functioning system. How long before it in vulnerable to security issues, good for apps? Should I just sell it and buy a mac mini? It was in the low 200 range with accessories and not used but a little bit so it was not terribly expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You got a really good deal and that iPad is plenty useful/relevant even without the latest OS update. I have that same one (wi-fi only) and the only thing that really bothers me is that some of the newer apps and app updates are being designed with a lot of whistles and bells (for lack of a better term) and they run a lot slower on the 1st gen iPad. Try using the TV Guide app or Angry Birds Space. You'll experience stutters occasionally and some delays. But that's pretty minor considering the excellent functionality and usefulness of the iPad (and the great price you paid). I'm not an expert on the security of the iPad, but I seriously doubt you will have anything to worry about in the coming years.

Enjoy your iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
So far I am still happy with my iPad 1 still using it daily yeah its a bummer the iOS updates are at end of cycle but until it quits functioning its still a nice addition.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Based on the child's needs, the iPad 1 would suffice for some time to come. You will not have to worry about any security issues since nothing can be downloaded to the iPad to cause any problems. All apps are screened by Apple and you can put parental controls in place to lock out things like iTunes/App Store to prevent any authorizing purchasing of shows/music & apps.

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks, will think about it. I myself just updated from an ipad 1 to a 3 a few months ago, and the one did not bother me. I like the ipad 3 better but, the ipad 1 more than did it for me. I am just worred about intesting apps no longer being supported.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
iOS 5.x is the latest version that can be installed on the original iPad and as time goes on, Apps will begin to target iOS 6 and on and thus eliminating support for the iPad..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am just worred about intesting apps no longer being supported.

It's very hard to predict how long developers of new apps. will continue to write their apps. to be compatible with iOS 5 (the highest version of the iOS compatible with the iPad 1).

- Since iOS 6 was only released recently…I don't think that there is not too much to be concerned about.
- Remember there are 1000's & 1000's of apps. that were written before iOS 6 was released…so there are TONS of apps that are compatible with iOS 5.
- Also figure…how long will this iPad 1 be used by the child it was purchased for? If it's like almost any electronic item used by an adult or child…they usually get upgraded every couple years.

Who knows…in 1-2 years…you may give your iPad 3 to this child…and upgrade to an iPad 4 or 5 yourself.:) Thus this iPad 1 will certainly last at least 1-2 years.:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

Let me put it this way:

I have an original iPhone from 2007. The last OS update for it was 3.1.3 (Feb of 2010). Just recently I noticed that most new apps I wanted wouldn't run on the thing. Five years is a pretty good run for a phone.

I don't know if the iPad will get that kind of run, but for a kid I think this is likely to be a non-issue (unless the "kid" is older than, say, seven). Plenty of apps will run FINE on the iPad 1, the only ones that won't are processor and graphically intense (and they won't let you install them on an iPad 1 anyway, eliminating the issue.

I'd say the kid will likely outgrow the iPad before the iPad gets to the point where it's not useful. Security is not really a concern, the iPads are airtight in this regard.

You'll likely be buying that kid an iPad mini in 2-3 years, yes, but the iPad 1 should be good till then.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.